Replacing a BB - Question about frame prep.

nickellis
nickellis Posts: 239
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've brought a complete 105 gruppo to throw on my commuter / winter bike (Trek 1 series). Got the correct BB, but have a question about frame prep before installing the 105 BB.

The bike and OEM BB are 2 years old, so after removing the BB and cleaning out the threads, do I need to do anything else like facing or tapping the threads. I was just going to bung some grease in a torque it up. I was assuming as the bike was fairly new, the shell should be a good enough condition to just require clean, grease and installation.
Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It depends on what the old BB was and if the BB has been faced or not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    I'd just bung the new one in with some grease

If the previous BB died young I might have been concerned about facing it, but if it's done okay then all must be fine
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    Old BB is some standard square taper English thread. It hasn't died young, just upgrading from 2300 to 105 so I can trickle down chains and cassettes from my Ultegra bike.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Really good clean out, loads of copperslip, chuck new bb in, torque to correct setting.

Job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Frame probably hasn't been faced if the old unit is square taper. But you will be able to tell be looking at the faces of the BB shell.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}