Something Strange!!!

Jdon
Jdon Posts: 45
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
hi guys, having a problem I think with the rear derailleur. I've just got back from a quick ride and got the bike upside down while cleaning. when I turn pedal backwards the chain is becoming really slack and slaps around, aswell as the jockey wheel moving forward like theres not tomorrow. also when I run the pedals in the right direction they carry on running around when I stop applying pressure. ARGH please help.
Cheers Joe

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Freewheel issues.
    If serviceable service it if not replace it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Jdon wrote:
    hi guys, having a problem I think with the rear dérailleur. I've just got back from a quick ride and got the bike upside down while cleaning. when I turn pedal backwards the chain is becoming really slack and slaps around, as well as the jockey wheel moving forward like there's not tomorrow.
    Sounds like you have some resistance in the system, chain, muck, jockey wheel or freehub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jdon
    cheers dudes, think ill take it to my LBS. its like a money pit this bike of mine!! :) cheers again! Joe
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look yourself! Could be something as simple as much between the back of the cassette and wheel, or muck in the jockey wheels.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jdon
    thought id give you guys the latest, I phoned the LBS and they made a lot of hmmm arrrrr noise's so I thought "ill try it myself". anyway took it all apart which was much simpler than I imagined and cleaned and re-greased the bearings etc. Anyway I seem to have solved it, I'm not saying its 100% but its like 95% so was thinking of getting a new freehub body. think that will solve all my problems? Cheer Joe
  • That would depend on what rear hub you have. Might be cheaper to buy a whole new wheel rather than a freehub. You might have just put too much grease in.
    Delete my fucking account.