Stuck between sizes, help needed.

Addy_roberts87
Addy_roberts87 Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hey guys, I'm just in the process of purchasing my first single speed bike. After plenty of research I've decided to go for a mango bike because of the price, Reviews and my useage. The only thing I'm stuck on is the size. Mango has a size guide on there website which would put me on a medium. After looking on forums most people my size seem to be on a 54 and for some reason mango seem to be between those sizes on the tt. I'm about 5.9, any advice on this would be great because I'm completely stuck, I would prefer a more upright riding position dew to a bad back so I'm swaying towards a small but don't know if that's the wrong decision. Here's mango's size guide. Cheers, Adam.

Frame-Dimensions.png

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's generally easier to make a small frame fit.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    I'm 5'7" and a 52cm frame is perfect for me, I agree with the poster above that it's easier to make a smaller frame fit.

Might be worth trying one before buying if possible
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    I would go with the manufacturers sizing chart and order a medium, as that's the recommended size for your height. When looking at the forum and sizing, it can be a minefield as compact frames differ from traditional ones and geometry also plays a role, so the size of 54cm frames can vary wildly depending on the type of frame it is.
    More people now tend to go by top tube length to get the correct size frame.
    However a quick glance at the Mango and it has a very short head tube leaning towards an aggressive riding position and ordering a small is not going to drastically make the front end higher.
    Perhaps you should be looking at a frame with a higher front end and more relaxed geometry.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm 5' 9/10" ish and that medium TT would kill me, the small seems about spot on but if you're in doubt give it a miss or you need to try before you buy.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Be careful - this depends on body proportions, I am the same height as Bozman and the small is definitely too small for me. The head tube is very small for both the small and the medium. If you have long legs with respect to the upper half of your body then the small is likely to be quite aggressive in fit -large drop from saddle height to bar height.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    letap73 wrote:
    Be careful - this depends on body proportions, I am the same height as Bozman and the small is definitely too small for me. The head tube is very small for both the small and the medium. If you have long legs with respect to the upper half of your body then the small is likely to be quite aggressive in fit -large drop from saddle height to bar height.

This is the right advice. As a general rule if you are stuck between sizes the best advice is to go small but you really have to test ride the bikes to be sure.
  • Sadly there is noway of trying out the bike first, they do come with a no question asked returns policy but that doesn't make my decision any easier as I would have to mess around sending it back. I'm going to message the company asking for advice. I should probably just stick with their guild but something's telling me it's going to be too big.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    For me at 5'10" the small would definitely be too small, in both height and length. Thee suitm is about right but I'd be likely to have the saddle quite ways back with that seat angle. I'd say the medium is better for you than the small, but you'd get the small to fit with a long stem.
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    I am 5'8" and ride a 54cm compact frame with an effective top tube length of 548 the 56cm version has a 565 length making the Mango medium frame at 555 approximately a 55cm frame which is about right for your height.
    I advised you going with their sizing chart as they are selling bikes day in day out and if their chart was that far out they would be getting bikes returned in droves, which I doubt.
    Which bars are you opting for ? if your concerned about your back probably best to go for the straights.
    It may pay you to ring rather than e-mail them to discuss your concerns.
    If your unsure and order the small you will probably keep it regardless because it will fit, but it might not be the best fit, hence order the medium first then send it back if your not happy.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510