Rear Mech Problem??

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning folks. I went to repair a puncture last night and couldnt move the rear mech to get the wheel off.. It seemed as if it was seized in some way. Its a bit of a grey area for me as ive never had any problems with it before. Its a SRAM XO 9 speed and fitted to a yeti asr 5..Really nedd it sorted asap as im off to torridon on fri(hopefully) :?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Won't move by hand or by lever?

Disconnect the cable and see if you can move it by hand. If yes then new cable time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Is it quite new? They have very stiff spring, designed to stop the chain slapping the frame.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the issue I had with my X9, the main pivot seized so the mech wouldn't pivot back to allow the wheel to come out, I undid (carefully) the main 5mm pivot bolt half a turn (needed a LOT of force) and then did it up, this moved the mech out the way enough to remove the wheel, I then used lots of GT85 and kept working the pivot bolt until it was free enough to remove, I then removed the circlip and locating tag so I could get the pivot bolt to slide out, cleaned and regreased and refitted.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    @the rookie.. thats exactly what had happened. Followed the same procedure :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For info I used 'waterproof' Castrol red rubber grease in the pivot as I think that has the best chance of preventing a recurrence.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.