Avid Brake Squeaks

funkster
funkster Posts: 8
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a 2013 Vitus Gravir 1 which has been a great bike, but the Avid Elixir 3 brakes just make too much noise. Despite regular cleaning and adjusting during most rides they soon start squeaking as you ride along (particularly the rear brake). Pulling the rear brake several times cures it for little time but it starts again.

Its now driving me mad, so I am looking to change them. From what I have read Avid have improved the brakes so I would consider another set of Avids. In my price range are Avid Elixir 9 or if I go back to what I am used to Shimano XT brakes.

I like the Avids for their ease of access to the brake pads for cleaning or replacing, I just don't like the noise they make (not during braking just as you ride along). So can anyone help advise me on the problem and/or replacing them :?

For info, I live in Cyprus and use my bike along Rocky, dusty, hard packed routes and very rarely in the wet (no need to ride in the rain over here :D ).

Brakes: Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc, 180mm front/160mm rear
Chainset: SRAM S1400 GXP, 175mm, 39t x 26t
Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP (BSA)
Chain: SRAM PC-1031, 10-Speed
Cassette: SRAM PG-1030, 11t-36t, 10-Speed
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 Type 2
Front Derailleur: SRAM X9
Shifters: SRAM X9

Thanks

Funkster :)

Comments

• coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    I have 2012 elixir 9 . Did get squeal on rear in wet. Replaced with avid pads and bedded in with several stops from a good speed . Never repeated noise. I know many say go shimano but I am more than happy with avid. Not needed bleeding .
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    From all the stuff I've read recently Avid brakes have quite a few problems and also aren't the most bleed-friendly either. I've just got rid of one of mine (Elixir 1's but their problems seem to be pretty much brand wide with their brakes - the problems mainly being noise, stuck pistons and bleeding problems) for a Shimano and if (when) I have another problem with the rear one that's going to get replaced too. So going off everything I've read I'd say go back to Shimano, it seems like most who have issues with Avid say they wouldn't buy them again and go with Shimano/Hope etc. instead.