New Bike or Upgrade?

MrJames
MrJames Posts: 24
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone! I've recently decided to get back into biking and facing a tough decision...

I'm currently still riding a Mongoose Tyax Comp 2008 the bike has put up with a fair bit of abuse over the years and has worked well and for the life of me I can't work out how nothing has broken on it!

But there are things I'm not too happy about for one the forks don't handle rapid shocks very well which makes the front feel a little all over the place at times (SR Suntour XCM-MLO 100mm travel with 30mm stanchions adjustable preload and lock out) and doing any real descents the rear brake starts losing effectiveness (ProMax mechanical discs 160mm rotors)

Now I was looking at the cycle to work scheme and through my work I can get a limit of £2800 :shock:

Should I keep the Mongoose and upgrade the forks and brakes is the frame worth spending money on or do I get a shiny new bike? :lol:

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How much would you spend though?
  • MrJames
    On upgrading? Maybe £200-300 on forks and £100 on upgrading rear brake?

New bike probably around £800-900 area, don't want to go too silly lol
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    I don't really know, but I guess it's wether you want to spend more and buy a new bike (advantage is it will probably inspire you to get out and ride) or you can improve on a bike your already familiar with right? It pretty much comes down to how much you wanna spend, you should be able to pick up upgrades through the cycle to work too
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • MrJames
    Well I got a little too tempted and went with a new bike on the cycle scheme.... There is now a Cube Ltd 29 2014 in green sitting in the shop waiting for me to collect it! :lol: