Why do long distance riders always saddlebags?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
...and not a rack and a rack bag?

Some of those saddlebag frames look a bit precarious with only one frame mounting point compared to the 3 or 4 points of a rack.

Comments

• mr_dobbo
    mr_dobbo Posts: 53
    Not all road bikes have rack mounts for a start!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    You can access the sidepockets of your Carradice whilst on the move. Not sure that's ever so possible with a rack bag.

But in reality, there are plenty of riders who use a rack with either a rack bag or a pannier.

I personally use a Carradice on a Bagman. Plenty stable, plenty waterproof, tough as old boots.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    I reckon there's some advantage aerodynamically with having a saddlebag as opposed to a pannier. Probably not too much but it all adds up when the mileage is quite high. I also reckon bikes feel better when the weight of luggage is closer to the centre of the bike as opposed to on the side, especially when going down hill!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Mr Dobbo wrote:
    Not all road bikes have rack mounts for a start!

This. I have 7 bikes and 0 rack mounts. Plus I can't imagine ever needing more than a Revelate Design seat bag for any distance (it's what I'll be using for the Transcontinental).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rodgers73
    Forgot about the (lack of) rack mounts.

I use a rack and a rack bag but the aero effect is minimal as there is little or no side protrusion - its fairly narrow and just sits atop the rack.
  • Grill
    Your rack and rack bag probably weigh as much as my tent, sleeping bag, and everything else I carry in my big saddle bag. For any 600k I use a 2.7l saddlebag and always end up overpacking. If you plan on touring with loads of crap you may as well take a caravan.

Next thing you'll be telling me I need a triple... :roll:
  • rodgers73
    Eh?
  • Grill
    I'm saying that it's unnecessary for many of us so we don't use them.
  • rodgers73
    I put the same amount of stuff in my rack bag as others do in a saddlebag. It's only a 6 litre capacity.
  • Grill
    Remember when I said this:
    Your rack and rack bag probably weigh as much as my tent, sleeping bag, and everything else I carry in my big saddle bag.

Your setup is waaaaaaaay heavier than mine and accomplished the same thing.
  • rodgers73
    Ok, thanks.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    Grill wrote:
    Your rack and rack bag probably weigh as much as my tent, sleeping bag, and everything else I carry in my big saddle bag. For any 600k I use a 2.7l saddlebag and always end up overpacking. If you plan on touring with loads of crap you may as well take a caravan.

Next thing you'll be telling me I need a triple... :roll:

What sort of stuff do you take on a 600k audax?
  • Grill
    Waterproof jacket, arm and knee warmers, spare tubes, tools, warm gloves, spare energy bars, and a few other bits and bobs.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    So when you need to sleep do you just curl up in a bus shelter or are they normally organised with places to get your head down for a few hours? I presume you do sleep!
  • marcusjb
    Bus shelters aren't known as Audax Hotels for nothing you know?

Most long events (600km and up) will have a proper sleep stop - a village hall for example with mats and blankets etc. - on a 600, these usually fall at around 350-400km into the ride, so for a typical 6am start, most people will get into the sleep stop midnight to 4am ish and then be able to sleep a few hours before heading off to finish the job.

On the really long stuff like PBP and LEL, every control will have a dormitory - so typically every 50-80km along the road. So you ride until you are ready for sleep really.
  • Hi

Serious question, honestly. Why do you want to do a 600k audax ride, just getting the odd bit of sleep here and there? It's not a race. If your just touring around and camping or b/b can see that, but..... guess just the challenge?? If so, fair enough, hats off to you, I couldn't or want to do it mind
  • marcusjb
    I like riding my bike and seeing the world.

Touring is good as well.
  • That's fair enough. Good for you, admire what you doing, it's way out of my league mind!!
  • rodgers73
    Its quite exhilarating setting off on such an event wondering if you're going to make it or not.
  • Yep fair point rod, I can understand that.

Just read your piece on PBP Marcus, that is brilliant well done fantastic achievement. Maybe I am just jealous!

Like me creature comforts too much these days :D
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Have a listen to The Bike Show's podcast on audaxing to get an idea..

http://thebikeshow.net/going-the-distance/
  • marcusjb
    Long distance cycling isn't beyond most people. It takes a boatload of self belief and determination and that's about it.

It is often described as ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

I have met many amazing people in long distance cycling. The vast majority are very understated and you would never know the incredible rides they have done.

It is a very different mindset to most forms of cycling, speed is irrelevant, people are likely to have more respect for the slower riders in many ways as they have a far tougher time than the fast boys and girls as they battle to gain enough time to catch even a small nap.

It's all a bit weird, a bit mad, but it really has enabled me to see a lot of this country and some bits of others:

http://www.strava.com/athletes/990191/h ... 8/-1.72169
  • Don't get me wrong guys not knocking it, was a serious question just interested.

Done lejog couple years ago, but that was all hostels and b/b so can see the attraction in some ways, just not the massive distances with no sleep etc.

Thanks fir the link will give that a listen
  • rodgers73
    Marcus - are you doing PBP next year?
  • marcusjb
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Marcus - are you doing PBP next year?

100%

Possibly on the tandem with my wife.

If that plan doesn't come to fruition, I will go as a Vedette this time and see what life is like in the fast lane!
  • rodgers73
    Good stuff - I'll see you there then.

I'm doing the Flatlands 600km this September as my pre-qualifier
  • mustgettaller
    mustgettaller Posts: 120
    marcusjb wrote:
    You can access the sidepockets of your Carradice whilst on the move. Not sure that's ever so possible with a rack bag.

But in reality, there are plenty of riders who use a rack with either a rack bag or a pannier.

I personally use a Carradice on a Bagman. Plenty stable, plenty waterproof, tough as old boots.

I've got a rack with Carradura rack-top bag, and I can get at the side pockets on that too. There's also a perfect eccles-cake sized pocket on the top for emergency rations!

As Grill says, the weight of the rack itself should be considered, so it's better to have a saddle bag if weight is the only concern. However, my Audax bike is also my commuting bike, so I need the rack for work-type pannier briefcases for the plethora of laptops etc. I end carrying on the commuteand I can't be faffing with taking the rack off and putting it back on again.
  • rodgers73
    I got the Tortec Ultralite rack - its only 560 grams. Not sure what the fuss over "extra weight" is.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    So when you need to sleep do you just curl up in a bus shelter or are they normally organised with places to get your head down for a few hours? I presume you do sleep!
    This is Grill we're talking about, you know?

Of course he doesn't sleep, and he does the whole thing on the one 600ml bottle of water he sets off with... ;)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Grill
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I got the Tortec Ultralite rack - its only 560 grams. Not sure what the fuss over "extra weight" is.

That's more than my sleeping or bivy bag and 10% of my whole luggage load. So yes, that's an asston of weight.