Best ever opening stage of a Grand Tour?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited May 2014 in Pro race
So...

From the perspective of the armchair fan today's stage was missable. Nothing much happened and the weather ruined the scenery.

So what has been the best opening stage of a GT?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    1990 Tour de France was a good 'un. Shortish stage but Bauer, Pensec (I think) and Chiappucci took 8 minutes and it basically made the race what it was
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    1990 Tour de France was a good 'un. Shortish stage but Bauer, Pensec (I think) and Chiappucci took 8 minutes and it basically made the race what it was
    Maybe time to bring back split stages. That breakaway succeeded because riders saving energy for the afternoon's TTT
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Maybe time to bring back split stages. That breakaway succeeded because riders saving energy for the afternoon's TTT

I think they should. The saving yourself adds an interesting dynamic to the whole thing. Think the year before in Lux, Accacio da Silva went off on a break.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    If we are discounting prologues I thought the last opening stage in Britain with McEwan's miracle recovert was pretty good.

Overall though, and quite logically you don't get the commitment of a one dayer.

I'm really glass half full with cycling but even I thought today was dull.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    iainf72 wrote:

Poor Frans Maassen, makes the break and wins the stage but no-one remembers.
  • Yellow Peril
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

does it pre-date Race Radios? #justsayin
    @JaunePeril

• iainf72

First year of race radios I think.

But no, the pattern happened a lot with split stages. If you turned yourself inside out on the morning stage to get yellow, you might get dropped in TTT. And teams wouldn't chase so hard because they had to do the TTT in afternoon.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I think this year's first TdF stage could be pretty interesting.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Yellow Peril
    iainf72 wrote:

First year of race radios I think.

But no, the pattern happened a lot with split stages. If you turned yourself inside out on the morning stage to get yellow, you might get dropped in TTT. And teams wouldn't chase so hard because they had to do the TTT in afternoon.

Good point. I think I remember Kimmage, Millar et al referring to the difficulty of split stages in various books. well worth a general re-introduction. Didn't we have one in Turkey or Romandie this year?
    @JaunePeril

• Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    TdF 2009 is the one that sticks in my mind ... The renewed LA drama added to the spectacle and the backdrop (and competitive course) in Monaco was fantastic ...

Also loved the 1km 'sprint' prologue in the Giro 2005 ... Cipo's cameo was also a nice touch to honour his achievements in the race ...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Last years tour was good, with all the drama and that.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I never saw it so I can’t say if it was one of the best ever opening stages of a GT to watch, but ...

I always liked the idea that in stage 1a of the 1991 Tour, the hot favourite Lemond took it to his rivals* from the beginning, by joining a break and gaining almost 2 mins on them (when including time bonuses) - a case of the previous year's winner aggressively defending his title from the start.
    (Although in the end it didn’t help Lemond, because he gradually lost ground and only finished 7th in Paris)

Stage 1b was the TTT later the same day.

(*not a few rivals – amongst others, including Bugno, Chiappucci, Roche, Delgado, Herrera, Rooks, Leblanc and Fignon)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    In terms of drama, probably the 1989 Tour. Seems staggering to think that the defending champion would miss his start slot and drop 2m40s before he'd even left the start ramp. Obviously all the focus of that race is the final gap between LeMond and Fignon, but Delgado was only 3m34s back, so that first day slip up had a huge baring on the race.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I guess because he was the only of the 4 not to wear yellow and at some point be considered the potential winner of that Tour overall

They gained about 10 minutes, wasn't it, nothing to do with race radios that kind of gap
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    edited May 2014
    First 3 stages of the 1979 Tour were pretty good, a bit like the criterium international - prologue, mountain stage, uphill TT. The rest of the race was good too, roubaix cobbles and Alpe d'Huez (twice). Class podium and classification winners - G.C. Hinault, Zoetemelk, Agostino. White Jersey, Bernaudeau. Mountains, Battaglin.

I liked last year and think Yorkshire will produce some great racing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Last year's TdF opener was pretty good, not so much for the racing but if they could arrange for some major drama to occur on the finish line as the peloton reaches the last 10k again then that would be grand. Oh yeah and a flying boat, every opening stage needs a flying boat.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The 1992 opening weekend of the TdF was great too, as they went straight into the Pyrenees from San sebastian. Stage with the Jaizkibel, and the 2nd stage with a long break through the Pyrenees with a very young Virenque, among others

And yes, this year in Yorkshire will be great (the 2nd stage without a doubt; the 1st stage has the potential to be great, depending on whether Cannondale can find any friends to make it a proper race in the Dales)