Wheel upgrade

philsalliss
philsalliss Posts: 175
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I've got a cube road bike with Shimano WH-R501 wheelset and am looking at upgrading the wheels and wondered if anyone with more knowledge than me could suggest an upgrade from at around 250-300

Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what do you ride and what riding are you doing.

Why do you want to upgrade?
  • philsalliss
    edited May 2014
    Hi it's a cube paelton pro road bike. Mainly commuting 7 miles to work most days and do about 15 miles on days above but once fitter will be doing longer runs on days off. A friend who is more into cycling suggested that a wheel upgrade would be a good one hence asking on upgrades

Seen these sets on ebay

Fulcrum racing 5
    Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium
    Mavic Aksium S Road
    Easton Aero Road Wheels
    Fulcrum racing 3
    Shimano ultegra 6700
  • ride_whenever
    hope/open pro combo. Bombproof and easy to find spares if something does go wrong.

these ones
  • philsalliss
    Thanks mate. How do they compare to those I'm watching on ebay
  • ride_whenever
    Dunno what you're watching, however there is nothing better for your riding. When you're commuting you need completely reliable wheels, I've seen these sit under 125kg riders day in day out through all weathers and never skip a beat.

If you're really light then you could possibly go for a finer rim but tbh at the price it's barely worth stopping to think about it.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Keep what you have until you wear them out. If you "upgrade" now, you won't notice any difference except to your bank balance.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • philsalliss
    Ok thanks guys. Your probably right to be fair. But that said there's a set of Mavic Aksium S Road going for 100 delivered on ebay only done 100 miles and look in good condition
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    I've had Aksiums and R500's (in fact I still use them interchangeably on my commuter).

There isn't really much difference between them, not enough to splash any cash anyway. I'd spend the money on some decent tyres which will make a much bigger difference to your ride quality (but won't really make you any faster).

Or, £100 invested in some decent bib shorts will do wonders for your comfort when you progress to longer rides.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra