Cycle Computer advice / Garmin 800?

Hammy1980
Hammy1980 Posts: 14
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

I'm having a nightmare trying to figure what computer i need to buy. And getting little or no advice from Evans, Halfords and even indie shops. Internet reviews have been complicated too.

What I really want is a computer that can basically give me sat nav. I always take maps but hate stopping when i get lost!

I'm not too fussed about heart rate / pulse type info. I just want a touchscreen computer that you can easily upload maps / routes too, that gives you your mileage and time. Any recommendations? especially when it comes to NCN Routes which is what I enjoy taking the most. Basically I need an idiot proof sat nav thing that you can upload Sustrans NCN Routes too OR has them built in. At the moment I use bike hub on my phone but it rinses the battery.

I read somewhere that a open cycle map do a downloadable GPX that has the complete routes. Does this work on a Garmin 800 (which seems to be the best choice) and does it have idiot proof turn by turn guidance?

I've been told that GPS is slow and unreliable too?

ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME. I'm just desperate to get something that'll stop me getting lost and track my time and miles

Thanks in advance
Hammy

Comments

• iLukeKendall
    iLukeKendall Posts: 160
    Hi Hammy,

If you're looking down the Garmin route, than you would need to buy either an 800, 810 or 1000 if you'd like the map view feature.

I have an Edge 810, and rather than use the official Garmin maps, I've loaded TalkyToaster maps to an SD card, which are free of charge and based on OpenStreetMap data.

These have all the main cycle routes marked on them, although I don't have experience using the Garmin to give me directions and calculating a route, as I always pre-create a route that I wish to take in Google Earth, export and convert the route to GPX, and then upload it to the Garmin and follow it as a course.

Turn by turn guidance is generally fairly good, although you do have to look at the screen for instructions - it will beep when a turn is coming up, but there's no voice feedback like car sat navs to tell you to 'turn left in 300 yards' etc.

As for tracking time and miles, it's great for doing that, so long as you remember to press the start button before you ride! It's especially great if you sign up to Strava and upload your rides there.
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    Garmin do a touring model, think it is called edge touring.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact