Tyres difficult to fit to dt swiss rims

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, so after 2 hours wrestling with a set of schwalbe racing ralphs (tubeless ready) and my dt swiss x430 rims I resorted to cable ties and a whole bottle of fairy just about.

I've just fitted my stans no tubes, removed original rubber rim tape, fitted thin yellow tape and tubeless rim strip. My tyres were fitted with tubes for a couple days prior to stretch them but they were just as tight getting back on, even had the heater on in the garage.

So my questions are, what can I do to get them on/off easier? Get rid of the yellow stans tape?

Or are my rims big or are the tyres small. So next tyre I buy I can make sure they come up bigger than racing ralphs. Can't do much about the rims.

Tyres shouldn't be this difficult surely!

Ps is 40 psi according to stans instructions really the max, I was wanting to pump them right up to make I seated the bead all the way.

Comments

• WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Schwalbe tyres can be tight on a lot of rims, Ralphs are easier than some though, I only use tape, rim strip is overkill and will make it tighter. May also be down to technique, you are right leaving them to stretch I normally leave mine on a spare set of wheels for a weeks at 50+ psi.
  • abarth_1200
    Yeah had them inflated to 60 psi and kept them in the house to help stretch them.

I try to leave the bead section nearest the valve to last, but that's about the only technique I have. Do decent tyre levers help, I have a couple of those plastic park tool ones and it feels I'm about to snap them.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Get the wheels really cold, rather than hot, it will just about help. The kevlar beads don't really give with temperature so cold fairy liquid solution is best to keep everything cold so the rims is as small as possible.

Although just man up :p
  • WindyG
    Yeah had them inflated to 60 psi and kept them in the house to help stretch them.

I try to leave the bead section nearest the valve to last, but that's about the only technique I have. Do decent tyre levers help, I have a couple of those plastic park tool ones and it feels I'm about to snap them.

Just make sure as you get round to the last bit that the bead is right into the wheel well all the way round this reduces the wheel diameter to the min possible. If you need to use the levers the Park Tools ones are good enough, I use those or Pedros.
  • abarth_1200
    Yeah the Dt swiss rims hardly have a well in the middle, nasty rims to fit tyres onto.

Are maxxis tyres any bigger, or any tyre manufacturer well known for looser fitting beads. On a side note I don't think would have needed any sealant in these rims
  • WindyG
    A Maxxis Crossmark which is close to a Ralph is easier to fit however it's not the better tyre.
  • abarth_1200
    Hmm I was worried about this, I'll see how these Ralph's are over the next couple of rides. Of I don't like them ill be looking at something with more grip and bigger volume, that's why I mentioned maxxis because if anything the Ralph's are xc speed demons, I'm no speed junkie just a lazy rider looking to shave rotational mass!

Thanks for the helps guys, confirmed to me that schwalbe are stingy with their rubber
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Not sure that matters with tubeless!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I try to leave the bead section nearest the valve to last.
    I fund it best to finish at circa 90 degrees to the valve, not opposite or at.

I think, as stated, the problem is the rim strip AND yellow tape, just Yellow tape should do it with less filling of the centre well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • abarth_1200
    I need the rim strip as it's part of the valve, if anything it's the yellow tape I could get rid of.
  • abarth_1200
    Are you sure I don't need the rubber rim strip with attached valve. My rims aren't tubeless ready, I can't see that yellow rim tape stopping all the air and sealant swimming around between the two walls in my rims and then out through the nipples!

Can you confirm who is being the numpty here