Changing gears issue.

Jay1982
Jay1982 Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

I have been reading various posts on here for a little while now, but decided to join up and get involved.

unfortunately my first post will also be asking for some advice.

i have a Forme Axe Edge Sport, when i change gear between my large and small front gearing i have to push the lever twice, first time it has tension in it, like a normal change, then the second push changes between the too, but feels fairly lose.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Jason

Comments

• Erasmus
    Erasmus Posts: 48
    Jason, have you got SRAM gears? If so, the double click is because the first one is meant to engage the 'trim' feature, and move the FD cage a little to the left to avoid rattle when the chain is over the larger cogs. The second click then throws the chain onto the smaller front chainring. If the trim doesn't work, it's probably because the cable tension is too tights, and/or the limiter stops are not set correctly. It's worth reading up on this to get right. Despite being different, SRAM can be set up to work very well, but it's a right faff!

On the other hand, if it's not SRAM, then the above is rubbish, and someone will advise you better on Shimano or Campag! Good luck, John
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    ...same goes for shimano front derailleurs. Have a chat with your local bike technician about front 'trim'
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Certainly true when going from big to little ring on Shimano gears, a very slight click with small lever will trim it, a bigger flick will change down.
  • Jay1982
    Jay1982 Posts: 3
    Thank you.

I did a bit of 'YouTube' searching for this, and then went and spoke to my local bike store.

Cleared things up perfectly.