Garmin Edge Out Front Bike Mount

sah682
sah682 Posts: 33
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all,

Having ordered my new bike this morning I need a few other bits one thing being another Garmin mount as I will be keeping the old bike for winter and commuting.

Has anyone used the Garmin mount that puts the computer out over the front?

Is it worth the extra or just a gimmick?

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    I use an out front one and find it easy to view it's all down to personal preference though, I use the garmin one which came with my unit but there are plenty of aftermarket versions though at vary price points and quality.
    The SRAM ones seem very popular as well.
    The only downside might be in an accident, but depending how you come off they are probably no better than the stem mounted ones.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I use one as I think it looks neater and more sleek, but I guess it's just down to personal taste.

Recent discussion
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I use the SRAM one which is much cheaper than the garmin one, and it works excellently.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Just be carful with the metal ones as they can chew the garmin up
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    sah682 wrote:
    Has anyone used the Garmin mount that puts the computer out over the front?

Is it worth the extra or just a gimmick?
    I have the Garmin one. I bought it as it puts the device in a position that's a lot easier to see.
  • k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    I have a plastic one from tweek cycles, think it was 8 quid, can't complain does the job.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    There's a load of options out there and I have the garmin one, the barfly one and the sram ones and they all work.

One thing is that if you are riding with numbers on your bike (ie races or sportives), they can be a bit of a pain to fit to your bars if you have an outfront mount. Otherwise it places the garmin in a more convenient position to look at - although it isn't the hardest task to look at one on your stem. It defo wasn't worth the extra when they were retailing at around 25 quid, but now they're under a tenner, they're a nice thing to have on the bike. And they don't mark your stem as the rubber bands and the rubber backing to the garmin stem mount can do.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I reckon they are safer - your eyes are taken off the road for less time as the display is that much closer to your line of sight. I've no hesitation recommending the Garmin one - haven't used any of the others.

Peter
  • mekong_velo
    mekong_velo Posts: 102
    Another +1 for the Garmin out front mount, I think it looks classier than the stretched bands round your stem that come with the unit.

Regards
    Cervelo R3
    Tarmac Elite
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have the SRAM one on both bikes. I'm long sighted making it difficult to read what the device is showing with it fixed to the stem. Just moving it forwards of the bars those few cms makes a world of difference.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sah682
    sah682 Posts: 33
    Thanks all.

Sram option purchased this morning
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Sram only available for 31.8mm bars
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239
    I got a K-Edge one at cost, it is a bit snug on the quarter turn mounting on the unit, but a dab of Vaseline in the fixing helps it lock in place without stripping any on the plastic off the garmin.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I use the Garmin one, it's a little pricey for what it is. Much easier to use while riding though, and I've crashed with it on, and my garmin stayed right where it was. Protected by the levers there's very few ways it can get to the ground in a fall.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group