help please ladies bike

chiefchick
chiefchick Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Commuting general
looking to start cycling after many years, really want a sit up and beg style looking at Dawes duchess & Pendleton Somerby which is the better bike or any other suggestions ??

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    chiefchick wrote:
    looking to start cycling after many years, really want a sit up and beg style looking at Dawes duchess & Pendleton Somerby which is the better bike or any other suggestions ??

they are very close in specifcations, on the whole differences are minor.

The Pendleton is a nicer looking bike, but maybe go and have a look at both or at least one?

both are intended for short distance commutes etc? is that what you intend?
  • chiefchick
    chiefchick Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply, yes just pottering around really,nothing serious, (well not yet )
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Pendletons looks nice, but are rather heavy and poor value for money
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    The Rookie wrote:
    The Pendletons looks nice, but are rather heavy and poor value for money

Are they also a bit temperamental :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I got my wife a Dawes Duchess a few months ago and she really likes it. It is heavy compared to a good road/mountain/hybrid bike but she feels good riding it (which afterall is why do many of the roadies on this forum have Italian bikes). It's definitely a leisure bike for pottling round though as the gearing isn't particularly high.
    It may be worth noting that its a pretty big frame and the wheels aren't quick release so getting it in/out of a car isn't easy.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I wouldnt limit your search to women specific bikes, i remember reading somewhere that men's and women's geometries arent that different (in fact it would make more sense to base geometry on country the gender as there are bigger differences).
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes