Ultegra 10-speed Cassette Clean Screw-up

dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Just removed my cassette for a clean (11-27T) and rather injudiciously wasn't too careful in dissembling thinking it would just be cogs and spacers, however in the bottom of the bowl after I'd cleaned the cassette was a silver ring the size of a spacer but the other spacers are all black. No idea where this was in relation to the other cogs / spacers and if I leave it out and put the wheel back on the bike the gears jump about a bit which they didn't do before.

I do have a similar cassette on the turbo wheel but just looked at this and it doesn't have similar although that again may have been down to me when I fitted it 3 years ago however I certainly don't remember having seen one of these when I did it.

Any ideas anyone ? Would really appreciate any assistance to get out of this mess which of course is purely of my own making.

Comments

• chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    I presume it not the spacer for the hub? Could there be a spacer to go in before the locking nut?

If all the other cog spaces are even that's the only thing I can think off.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    What wheels/hubs? Is it a spacer to take an 11sp hub down to 10 speed? If so it just goes on the hub before the cassette.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'd guess that it's the spacer that goes at the back of the cassette, it's the first thing that goes on the hub before the cassette sprockets.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    ^This. It's the hub spacer which goes on first.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Bozman wrote:
    I'd guess that it's the spacer that goes at the back of the cassette, it's the first thing that goes on the hub before the cassette sprockets.

I was guessing that it probably was however that doesn't explain why the shifting is now so crap though. It's the first time I've had that cassette off and as I don't have one on my turbo wheel I was coming to conclusion that it was related to the hub / wheel (which incidentally are fulcrum racing 5 wheels with fulcrum 2:1 hubs) rather than the cassette. I guess I'll just have to align the gears now, a job I absolutely detest.

Sigh...

Edit: Thanks by the way for your prompt responses; much appreciated
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    If its the spacer from behind the cassette it does explain why the shifter is so crap. Just check that the whole thing is tight as well when it goes on.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Did you put the spacer back in? It will never shift properly without it.

It's possible your other cassette was Tiagra 10 speed which doesn't need a spacer.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If the spacer isn't fitted the cassette can float along the hub axis. That's why your shifting is cr4p.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}