ghost amr plus lector 7700 2014 alterations.

GAF1981
GAF1981 Posts: 21
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hi all.

I have the ghost amr plus lector 7700 2014. I'm really happy with it. I want to try and make it a bit more downhill oriented, I'm struggling to get my weight back as easily as I did on my old bike and it feels less rooted on skiddy downhill sections. All I've done is change the tyres and I'm giving flat pedals a go to see if it improves my skills a bit. I have a couple of questions.. It comes with Alex xed 44 rims on xt hubs. I have a set of DT Swiss hope pro 2s from my old bike and I'm tempted to put them on (I'd need to convert the front to 15mm thru and the back to 12mm - so would need to buy the bits) any thoughts?? I'm also thinking of a 0mm stem (it has a 30mm stem) or a bar with a bigger rise? I'm thinking that if I need to wind the front suspension down to 120mm on the climbs I can -I never do this. Any thoughts or advice on these ideas would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Higher rise bars will make the riding position worse for technical riding, you need to keep your weight low. A 0mm stem will also raise the bars and if you need one it would suggest the frame is too big for you.
    The head angle is very steep which will make it feel twitchy, an angleset will help but it will still be quite steep. It seems odd to have 150mm suspension with a steep 69 degree head angle.
  • GAF1981
    The frame is the correct size, the angle and fork are a common combination, the bike has great reviews and it works well for me. The question is the wheels and the tweaks.. Swapping out for a shorter stem is a pretty common thing to do as is changing a set of bars..
  • GAF1981
    This is the bike: http://www.ghost-bikes.com/bikes-2014/b ... ctor-7700/ The head angle is 67deg
  • rockmonkeysc
    Shorter than a 30mm stem is not common. The geometry I found said it had a 69 degree head angle, 67 is a bit more like it!
    Changing bars can be good but if you want it to ride better on down hills then lower is better than higher to keep your body weight low.
  • GAF1981
    Okay cool. What about the wheels? The DT swiss 5.1hope2 pro felt really good on my old bike. They're a bit wider than the XED 44 rim. I'd need to buy the hub conversion bits and its a faff changing them sp I don't know whether to bother. Will it make all that much difference? On a less technical note - the DTswiss 5.1 hope2 pro rear hub makes a really loud clicky sound which I like also but the current wheels match the bike in colour and stickers etc..!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Putting the wheels on is a no brainer, if all you need is the adaptors, however aren't most ghosts centrelock?
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The stem doesn't look 30mm long in the picture, it looks about 60
  • rockmonkeysc
    According to the geometry table in that web page stem lengths are 60-80mm depending on frame size with most sizes having a 70mm stem.
  • GAF1981
    The stem is a GHOST Light AS 29 31.8 mm. It measures about that, the table is wrong! Okay ridewhenever I'll have w look at swapping out the wheels. I'm not sure what centrelock is (Will Google) but the front is 15mm thru axle and the rear is 12mmx142 thru axle type thing with a Dt Swiss qr. Thanks all for the advice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    How are you measuring the stem?
    You should be measuring from the centre of the bar to the centre of the fork steerer. On a 30mm stem the bar is pretty much touching the steerer.
    As far as I can find, Ghost don't make a stem shorter than 60mm.
  • GAF1981
    I'll have another check, I kind of eyeballed it! If it is 60mm I might try a bit shorter (10-20mm shorter)as it's a cheap alteration and I can always go back. Just looked at the centrelock thing. When I check I expect I'll need to buy new rotors if I do the wheel swap - annoying!!