Spec me some deep rim wheels please

cristoff
cristoff Posts: 229
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

To celebrate getting new job I want to treat myself to some flashy looking wheels.

Can you get a decent set of 40/50mm rims around the £300 price point?

I'm not averse to spending a little extra, but I have to factor in the shock factor from the Mrs! :D

They will go on my best bike and mainly be used on club rides, some climbing and some sportive type distances.

Cheers in advance :-)

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I guess the new job's not worth celebrating that much then? ;)

Can you even get Planet X in a sale for £300?

Congrats on the job!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    It's just not going to happen for £300.

Take the missus out for a nice dinner and champagne instead.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    Can you even get Planet X in a sale for £300?

I bought a pair of 52mm clinchers for £340 last Christmas.
    They seem really cheap now.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    £300 will only buy you alloy rims unless you get very cheap carbon. All the 40mm alloy rims are heavy the lightest is the 38mm deep Kinlin XR380 and that is the one I would suggest if this is something you want to go for. At 565g it is a bit heavy but lighter than the H plus son SL42.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Low mileage second hand Cosmics off ebay
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    It's just not going to happen for £300.

Take the missus out for a nice dinner and champagne instead.

You have no place on this forum, try netmums

:wink:
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    You have no place on this forum, try netmums

:wink:

+1 £300 would be better spent with a Pre-op Brazilian hooker and a couple lines of coke.

OP - post up what you find. I'm after a wheelset but if would seem the words Cheap + Good don't go well together when it comes to wheelsets. :(
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Save the £300, resign, get another new job and treat yourself to a further £300 towards the wheels. That should help.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    cristoff wrote:
    Hi,

To celebrate getting new job I want to treat myself to some flashy looking wheels.

I'm not averse to spending a little extra, but I have to factor in the shock factor from the Mrs! :D

They will go on my best bike and mainly be used on club rides, some climbing and some sportive type distances.

No but add £100 and you can get a perfectly decent pair of carbon rims like farsports from China. I bought some 38mm recently and so far very impressed.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    £300 or less for 40mm or 56mm wide rims from carbon-cycle on ebay, these are Flybike themselves who supply Hongfu and Dengfu among others.
    Or buy the rims from them and get a UK Wheelbuilder to build them with the hubs and spokes of your choice, might be a little more than £300 (maybe £350) but depends what you go for.
    Cheers, Stu
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    duckson wrote:
    Hongfu and Dengfu

yinyang.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Add a little bit and use the money as a deposit for lightweights on finance?
  • cristoff
    cristoff wrote:
    Hi,

No but add £100 and you can get a perfectly decent pair of carbon rims like farsports from China. I bought some 38mm recently and so far very impressed.

You got a link for these? A mate just got some from china, paid £230 for them. i am worried if they come and the quality is crap.

Anybody got reliable sellers? Experience of these?
  • Camcycle1974
    cristoff wrote:
    cristoff wrote:
    Hi,

You got a link for these? A mate just got some from china, paid £230 for them. i am worried if they come and the quality is crap.

Anybody got reliable sellers? Experience of these?

http://www.farsports.com/
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    If you are happy with a reported weight (I have no idea how accurate this is but there are lots of posts about these wheels on the web) of 1.7 kg for the set, you can get some Soul S40 alloy deep wheels for USD 560 delivered to the UK. I just did a quick conversion and this should be about £330 or so. I have not bought any wheels from this supplier but there are many who have and when, a few years ago, I was investigating doing so I found the owner to be very responsive and helpful (Sean from memory). http://2013.bikesoul.com/s4/

For a bit less money Soul also do the 32mm S30 which apparently now have a more aerodynamic shape and comes in at a claimed 1550 for the set - http://2013.bikesoul.com/s3-0/
  • cristoff
    So then, these come to $664 with delivery, which is a shy under £400. Any good?

http://www.wheelsfar.com/38mm-x-20-5mm- ... -2683.html

The other option (more expensive) is these;

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPX52CCL/ ... r-wheelset

thoughts?
  • duckson
    You are aware you are comparing clinchers and tubulars?
    Cheers, Stu
  • cristoff
    duckson wrote:
    You are aware you are comparing clinchers and tubulars?

I wasnt no! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cristoff wrote:

Probably best assume they will cost you £664 sterling once import duties are paid. That said, they are rather brazen about how they will try to help you evade some of those costs. Got to suspect the customs are wise to this sort of tax dodge though it seems less of an issue from the Far East than the States for some reason.
    Dodgy shop wrote:
    Import Duties

Will I have to pay any Customs charges in my country?

We will put full value in commercial invoice if you do not ask us to lower the value when shipment. The import duties will be decided by your country. If you speically ask us to lower the value to avoid the duties, please let us know in advance. There will be no import duties if we mark the value :US$10-US$20”. And we can also mark it as gift.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you make a false customs declaration, they can charge you vat and duty based on UK price and then double-it. Also, if marked as $10 value and they get trasher by the courier, don't expect the insurance to pay out $400.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Camcycle1974
    Rolf F wrote:
    cristoff wrote:

Probably best assume they will cost you £664 sterling once import duties are paid. That said, they are rather brazen about how they will try to help you evade some of those costs. Got to suspect the customs are wise to this sort of tax dodge though it seems less of an issue from the Far East than the States for some reason.
    Dodgy shop wrote:
    Import Duties

Will I have to pay any Customs charges in my country?

We will put full value in commercial invoice if you do not ask us to lower the value when shipment. The import duties will be decided by your country. If you speically ask us to lower the value to avoid the duties, please let us know in advance. There will be no import duties if we mark the value :US$10-US$20”. And we can also mark it as gift.

I paid £32.50 duty on my order. Was expecting over £100 so pleasantly surprised.
  • duckson
    UK wise i've not read of anyone paying £100+, mostly in the £30-40 range.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Camcycle1974
    duckson wrote:
    UK wise i've not read of anyone paying £100+, mostly in the £30-40 range.

I thought it would be liable for VAT+duty but only got charged duty.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Assembled by someone who cares...

light-bicycle-supplier.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • Camcycle1974
    Assembled by someone who cares...

light-bicycle-supplier.jpg

Didn't know you had started a sweat shop Ugo? :D