Giro Stage 2 Belfast - Belfast *Spoilers*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Boodist alert!

Is he still racing? I thought he'd joined WWF.

They didn't get a World Tour licence. I'm sure he'll be around some other team's bus for a rumble shortly.

I hear someone called him a smurf.

Anyway that was all a little underwhelming, I'd actually planned on doing some serious gardening this afternoon but was foiled by the rain.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Hmmm. Well, that was dull.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Boodist alert!

Is he still racing? I thought he'd joined WWF.

They didn't get a World Tour licence. I'm sure he'll be around some other team's bus for a rumble shortly.

I hear someone called him a smurf.

Anyway that was all a little underwhelming, I'd actually planned on doing some serious gardening this afternoon but was foiled by the rain.

Yes it was all a bit meh. I spiced it up with Kirby commentary via the BBC. Think I'll clean the chickens out now.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    LOL.
    Eurosport bail out early to catch a handful of live Dunkerque kms, so they can
    cancel the scheduled 90 minute coverage.
    The race is already in bits, but who knows how it happened?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Not much hope for exciting sprint stages after seeing Kittel breeze that
  • Yellow Peril
    Not much hope for exciting sprint stages after seeing Kittel breeze that

If Viviani can get some wind tunnel time on his nose maybe he can take Kittel
    @JaunePeril

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Even the sprint was uninspired.
    As dull as the average tour flat stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    No problem for Kittel and tomorrow will probably be the same. The riders did well to avoid all the unmanned traffic islands and all survive the last ten kilometres in one piece.

DD.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Stage 2 Results
    GER 1 KITTEL, Marcel (GIANT-SHIMANO) 5:13:12
    FRA 2 BOUHANNI, Nacer (FDJ.fr)
    ITA 3 NIZZOLO, Giacomo (TREK FACTORY RACING)
    ITA 4 VIVIANI, Elia (CANNONDALE)
    ITA 5 FERRARI, Roberto (LAMPRE - MERIDA)
    ITA 6 BELLETTI, Manuel (ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI)
    GBR 7 SWIFT, Ben (SKY)
    AUS 8 MATTHEWS, Michael (ORICA GreenEDGE)
    ITA 9 APPOLLONIO, Davide (AG2R LA MONDIALE)
    USA 10 FARRAR, Tyler (GARMIN SHARP)

General Classification after Stage 2
    AUS 1 MATTHEWS, Michael (ORICA GreenEDGE) 5:37:54
    AUS 2 DURBRIDGE, Luke (ORICA GreenEDGE) + 3
    ITA 3 SANTAROMITA, Ivan (ORICA GreenEDGE)
    CAN 4 TUFT, Svein (ORICA GreenEDGE)
    NED 5 WEENING, Pieter (ORICA GreenEDGE)
    AUS 6 MEYER, Cameron (ORICA GreenEDGE)
    COL 7 URAN URAN, Rigoberto (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 8
    ITA 8 BRAMBILLA, Gianluca (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)
    BEL 9 SERRY, Pieter (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)
    ITA 10 PETACCHI, Alessandro (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Today and yesterday Dunkerque stages about 50x better than today's Giro stage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    The OGE guy on the front (and the rest of the peloton) took that final corner at granny like speed. That said, good work by them to keep Bling out of trouble.

Ironically the rain started heavily about 1 minute before they reached us and the only dry bit of that corner was the manhole cover.

Pics to follow.

I heard rumour that a flute band were going to play them past the bottom of Shankhill. Did that occur?
  • Yellow Peril
    Alan A wrote:
    The OGE guy on the front (and the rest of the peloton) took that final corner at granny like speed. That said, good work by them to keep Bling out of trouble.

Ironically the rain started heavily about 1 minute before they reached us and the only dry bit of that corner was the manhole cover.

Pics to follow.

I heard rumour that a flute band were going to play them past the bottom of Shankhill. Did that occur?

were they going to wear Euskie kit?
    @JaunePeril

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

Just a typical GT early flat stage really. Break held out well but was always doomed. That coastline is a beautiful part of the world though, shame the weather spoiled it a bit. Also, it would have been nice if the wind had been side on but that was always unlikely along the north coast.
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Not sure what the people saying it was boring were expecting from the pan flat opening stage of a GT? Shockingly the best sprinter in the race (arguably the workd) won. I suspect the same folks may have moaned if that last corner had caused a pile up. They were offered hills in the route and turned them down picking and very boring flat route between the Glens. Organisers got what they wanted!
  • Pross
    Having been to the area I was surprised how flat the route was, hadn't realised the organisers had asked for that. I'm surprised as they aren't usually averse to tough early stages.
  • above_the_cows
    I think it would have been more interesting had more sprinting talent been present. While the Tour gives us similar stages at least you get the A grade sprinters showing up, rather than just one A grade sprinter and a few also rans.

The highlight for me was the pink horse (that was in the first 5 seconds of coverage) and my husband's rather poor jokes about what would happen if Euskaltel were still racing.
  • alan_a
    ...Organisers got what they wanted!

No they didn't. They wanted Cav to win. :lol:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The highlight for me was the pink horse.

BnR2WnoIMAAZ_KI.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alan_a
    ^ ^ ^ Wow o Wow o Wow o Wow.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pretty big gap in class between Kittel and the rest today. Kittel v Cav v Greipel in the Tour is going to be one hell of a contest.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited May 2014
    Not sure what the people saying it was boring were expecting from the pan flat opening stage of a GT? Shockingly the best sprinter in the race (arguably the workd) won. I suspect the same folks may have moaned if that last corner had caused a pile up. They were offered hills in the route and turned them down picking and very boring flat route between the Glens. Organisers got what they wanted!

So people can't expect a dull stage and have a bit of a go at it for actually being.. dull?

This is the same situation in Denmark a couple of years ago. Massive event and enormous hype about it but very forgettable with stages that were as boring as a tennis match in a best of five sets format.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

Isn't this a bit.. much? :P
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BnSgyVCIIAElIYY.jpg
    Charles McQuillan ‏@pacemakermcq · 1h
    giro d'italia day two dunluce castle @girostart2014 @giroditalia #girostart2014

My only gripe about the last 3 days - the TV coverage kicked in too late today to show, what is in my view the best of the Coast Road, the stretch from Portrush into Ballycastle. Leaving out as it did, Royal Portrush, Dunluce Castle and Ballintoy
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Have just finished watching a recording of today's stage (most of which I eventually fast forwarded) and am really glad I decided to watch 4 Jours live instead - even though I'm as Irish as Dan Martin.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Anyone else notice how ubiquitous these have come:
    bak.jpg

Pretty much the entire Katusha team had them today.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Other than Tuft's birthday win, I can muster no interest in the opening stages of the race ... Let's get back to Italy and let the real race begin ... So far it's all feeling a bit 'Tour of California'...
  • above_the_cows
    If anyone is watching Eurovision...

Its seems Nacer Bouhani is singing the Danish entry.
  • above_the_cows
    ThomThom wrote:

No. This is wonderful!

Thanks.

Avi time...
  • Pross
    ThomThom wrote:

Horse doesn't look impressed, it's hard enough getting my daughter's horse to stay still to be brushed!