Disc brake/fork judder - normal?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Wasn't sure where to post this (might also put it in the 'Cyclocross' thread) so here goes.
Recently built up a Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 disc frameset, with Kinesis CX Disc wheelset and TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes. The Kinesis CXD carbon forks are a full monocoque design with carbon steerer.

Seem to be getting variable amounts of "judder" at the front under braking. Headset seems tight, and the judder is a relatively recent phenomenon, presumably related to the fact that that the disc brakes are now fully bedded in. I'm also running Sammy Slick tyres in 35mm flavour, at @ 50 psi.

Can anyone say whether this might be considered 'normal' on either the Crosslight Pro 6 disc, or other disc equipped CX bikes?

if not, where would you suggest I focus to track down a potential issue?

many thanks.
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Bet its the headset. If I had the problem I would over tighten it and see if that cured it. It gives a clue anyway. Also check that the pads haven't been knocked a bit crooked. Re centre the caliper.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Possible causes for judder :-

Loose headset
    Loose rotor
    Loose calliper
    Contaminated pads
    Contaminated rotors
    Bent rotors
    Misaligned calliper or pads
    Wheel is not in straight
    Wheel is not done up tight enough
    Front hub is too lose or too tight.

Hope that helps
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Cheers chaps - really helpful. I'm not riding in this wind today so will work my way through the list :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718
    I had to re-tighten the headset on mine a few times when it was new, now it has settled down. Not sure why, but I'd start there.
  • walney
    walney Posts: 35
    I suffered reall bad fork judder on my mares with aluminium forks, you could see the forks moving fore and aft. A swap to kinesis forks helped.

The judder sometimes re occurs and is normally cured by realignment and leaning of discs and pads. My most recent episode of judder was swiftl folled by complete loss of front brake after the friction material detached itself from the back plate! might be worth checking your pads.