That Question..sorry - which one of these two

grunty
grunty Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

Appreciate thoughts on the two bikes I've narrowed down to - also appreciate any suggestions around the same price (1k)

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/scott/scale-960-2014

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/cube/ltd-29-2014

Really appreciate any help / advice..

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Of those two, I'd have the Cube which has a much better fork.

Probably help if you post a little more info on the type of riding you do. Presumably fast XC based on those two bikes.

Others are better qualified than me to suggest alternatives.

Are you dead set on a 29er?

Biased, I know, but look at the Giant Anthems at Paulscycles.co.uk
  • grunty
    Thanks!

Yep mostly xc and canal paths for me. Not stuck / hellbent on 29er (sat on whyte 901 today and loved it) just the riding I do / my height (6ft 2) seems to lend itself to a 29er?
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    grunty wrote:
    Thanks!

Yep mostly xc and canal paths for me. Not stuck / hellbent on 29er (sat on whyte 901 today and loved it) just the riding I do / my height (6ft 2) seems to lend itself to a 29er?

For a tall guy and that type of riding a 29er makes sense. Take a look at the Voodoo Bizango at Halfords. Would save you quite a few quid
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    That Cube with Rebas is alright for £900
  • grunty
    Just phoned the shop to make sure they still had both on display and the cube is gone..

Gutted as wanted this done / dusted today and don't want to pull the trigger on the Scott without seeing the cube 1st.

Still open to looking at any other bikes - just saw the boardman pro in halfords which looks like a decent buy as well.
  • muddpuppy
    muddpuppy Posts: 87
    The boardman is better specced than both of the alternatives and with discounts you could get it for around the £800 mark easy decision if you ask me
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^

The Boardman is excellent for the price.
  • grunty
    Hmmm - I suppose the discount does change things..

How do I achieve 20%?

Will go for another look tomorrow - it didn't scream 'buy me' when I was looking at it but 200 off May change that :D
  • muddpuppy
    grunty wrote:
    Hmmm - I suppose the discount does change things..

How do I achieve 20%?

Will go for another look tomorrow - it didn't scream 'buy me' when I was looking at it but 200 off May change that :D
    Type 22% off halfords in you web browser and the article should come up
    10% off anything at halfords with British bike membership which costs £15 for the bronze pack.
    Then the remaining price you send off for in vouchers with a 10% discount with the code from the above article.
    I ignored the vouchers and asked at the shop to knock 10%off the remaining price in cash to save time waiting for vouchers to be delivered. I also mentioned that there was an £60 spend and save online deal which they gave me In store credit to get a few extras which got me a shock pump,tyre pump,puncture outfit,and a chainstay guard, and a £1599 bike for £1295.
  • muddpuppy
    You could also get the team fs for the same £800 mark also well reviewed
  • grunty
    Pulled the trigger on the Boardman today - pick it up tomorrow.

Biggest frame size is 19" which got me at 1st but it fits like a glove - just hope Halfords don't let me down putting the thing together - the guy who I dealt with seemed pretty gen up / interested / capable so fingers crossed..