Trek Domane disc

mushroom_picker
mushroom_picker Posts: 20
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm delighted that Trek are rolling out new versions of the Domane. A Domane with disc brakes has to be near the top of my shopping list. But please can we have something between the (relatively) bargain basement Sora model and the verging-on-pro spec at the other end of the range. Specialized have done exactly the same with their disc-equipped Roubaix models. What I ideally want is an 8 kg Ultegra (or equivalent) specced carbon-framed road-specific bike with disc brakes. I image we're looking at c£2,500 or so. Having hurtled down a few too may wet 25%ers on the last 2 Rides with Brad, with my existing brakes feeling like they are at their limit, I want something with more modulation and stopping power in the wet. At the moment the Rose Xeon DX 4400 seems like the best bet - but it's aluminium and meant to be bad in cross-winds. Does anyone have any suggestions? Come on Trek/Specialized etc, we're waiting!

PS - does anyone know why I can't post this as a comment against the original news article? I just get a message saying that I haven't posted a valid comment.

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    B120TTCC-B1-SIDE-AVANTM30D-14.53-20130820120307.jpg

That looks nice, and the bonus is it's not a Trek or a Spec. :D
  • An alternative, albeit slightly lower specced than your wish list.
    Whyte Suffolk - 105 equipped ( mostly ) - 10 kg - alu frame with carbon forks - TRP HY-RD brakes.
    Best of all, half your budget at£1200.
    Great bike on the hills both up and down. The extra 2kg weight doesn't bother me, as is less than 2% of the total of me and the bike.
  • Thanks for contributions so far. The Orbea M30D looks well worth a look and is pretty close to what I'm looking for. Mechanical discs and c9kg weight are the only downsides I can see, compared to the spec I was looking for. Clearly I'm being a fussy sod. My local bike shop used to do Orbeas, so might be able to still get hold of them - I wonder if there's a test fleet you can get to give it a go. The Bike Radar review is pretty positive. Or maybe I just wait until there's a better choice next year. Choices, choices, aaargh! :)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    PS - does anyone know why I can't post this as a comment against the original news article? I just get a message saying that I haven't posted a valid comment.

I can't either, same message, I guess that's why there aren't any comments on articles anymore.

Back on topic I'm running TRP Parabox R hydraulic discs on a Specialized Secteur Sport Disc, it weighs in at around 11kg, has Sora running gear with the exception of the rear mech which is 105. 11 speed on the rear is a cassette and shifter away and I don't need overly integrated, non modular parts to do it in theory 105 hydro levers will work with Parabox/Dash/Hylex calipers and bleeding TRP/Tektro (Mineral Oil) is so much easier than Avid/SRAM (DOT3). It's just a shame the Parabox isn't integrated into a stem to make it look a bit neater but that's the price of early adoption.

Discs are great, hydraulics even more so. Avoid Lyra and BB5 or be prepared to upgrade within a year or 8000 miles. How long until we see properly done front internal cabling down the stem and steerer?

In the mean time you can always retrofit a bike for discs with a disc fork and an A2Z Adapter you don't have to go out and buy a whole new bike!

I had my eye on an Oreba a while back but it was £500 over budget and not readily available.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • In the end I was patient and waited for the 2015 bikes to come out. I've just taken home a stealthy black beauty - Trek Domane 2015 4.5 disc. Only had one ride and it's definitely a great bike. At the end of the day, I don't have loads to compare it with, except my Specialized Tricross Comp (6 years old) and a Trek 1000, which I built up from eBay parts for less than £200. But it immediately feels comfortable. The ride is smooth as you'd expect, but Liverpool roads still feel rough at times - so no magic carpet, but pretty good. I haven't weighed it, but it's fine, though not super light. I certainly didn't float up the hills with no effort - though perhaps that's not supposed to happen! Minor gripes - external cable routing is practical, but not the prettiest and the Shimano RS500 chain set is a little low-rent compared to the rest of the bike. The disc brakes will really come into their own when hurtling down steep descents on rainy sportives - bit for the time being I don't want to take it out in the wet - how daft is that!
  • In the end I was patient and waited for the 2015 bikes to come out. I've just taken home a stealthy black beauty - Trek Domane 2015 4.5 disc. Only had one ride and it's definitely a great bike. At the end of the day, I don't have loads to compare it with, except my Specialized Tricross Comp (6 years old) and a Trek 1000, which I built up from eBay parts for less than £200. But it immediately feels comfortable. The ride is smooth as you'd expect, but Liverpool roads still feel rough at times - so no magic carpet, but pretty good. I haven't weighed it, but it's fine, though not super light. I certainly didn't float up the hills with no effort - though perhaps that's not supposed to happen! Minor gripes - external cable routing is practical, but not the prettiest and the Shimano RS500 chain set is a little low-rent compared to the rest of the bike. The disc brakes will really come into their own when hurtling down steep descents on rainy sportives - bit for the time being I don't want to take it out in the wet - how daft is that!
    I'm buying the 4.5 disc soon when it is in stock. What is the size and how heavy is it?
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Waiting for the Rose Xeon CDX to appear on their website, November apparently.
    I'm thinking it'll be circa £2500 for Di2 and hyds....but i dont know for sure, just my guess/hope.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Just got my Domane 4.5 Disc. It weights 9kg. The thing just cruise. Very smooth!

edit: it is size 50.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Current Cycling + has reviewed 6 disc equipped bikes ranging from £1K to £8K in prive

Winner was Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc at £2.5K

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p73614/Cannon ... tAodnl0A2A

Might consider adding that into the mix
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Equilibrium disc in steel or Ti as a frame and fork and build it the way you want it without comprimises. A steel equilibrium with disc brake could be built to 9kg with ease. A carbon bike should be sub 8kg well my wifes is and that did not cost anywhere £5k. I am doing a equilbrium Ti disc for myself and even with heavy 30mm tyres (challange strada's) it will be well under 9kg.

Most frames are no better or worse in cross winds than most others, the wheels chosen make a difference as does the weight of the rider who tested it. In short I would not worry too much about that king of review. If you want bike without comprismes buy one you can get as a frame and fork (whatever it happens to be) a custom build maybe cheaper than you think. The only problem with a cannodale I can see is BB30, while some have luck with them many do not and BB30 and winter training/riding for me do not sit well together.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.