Lightweight CX Bike with Disc Brakes

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited September 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

I would like to get a lightweight (sub 8KG) CX bike with disc brakes. The idea being this bike would replace my winter road bike plus also double up as a CX when I fancied some off road stuff.

The two that have caught my eye so far are the Felt F1X Frameset and the BH RX Team. Does anyone have either of these?

Are there any other framesets or full bikes that meet this criteria?

Cheers.

Comments

• simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Felt F1x, would be a good one or I also keep my eye out for this :-

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cxr98.html

Di2 or mechanical and can also take guards for winter if that floats your boat.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Sub 8kg with Disc brakes? My Rourke 953 with Campag Super Record weighs 8KG!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • alesupper
    The Boardman CXR 9.8 is a great suggestion, thanks for that.
    simonj wrote:
    Felt F1x, would be a good one or I also keep my eye out for this :-

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/cxr98.html

Di2 or mechanical and can also take guards for winter if that floats your boat.
  • alesupper
    drlodge wrote:

It's a reality!

http://www.bhbikes.com/web/en/road/cycl ... -disc.html
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    drlodge wrote:

steel is quite porky, even 953.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    gabriel959 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

steel is quite porky, even 953.

Yeh, Genesis reckon 1650g for their 953 frame :roll: :? :shock:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    loving the look of that Boardman

Matt
  • simonj
    Also you didn't say price, there's the Cannondale SuperX Disc, doesn't look like in the uk yet for some reason, but they do a force model or the super expensive black :-

http://www.cannondale.com/deu/catalog/p ... egory/916/
  • simonj
    My old SuperX Red (non disc) was 6.8kg with road wheels.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hongfu FM089:
    http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_produc ... 9-269.html - the money saved by not buying some stickers will get you some decent wheels too
    If you're the kind of person who worries about warranty and is 'precious' about bikes, then suggest CX racing might not be the thing for you.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Do you have one of these frames?

Warranty and reputation would concern me. Also the OP hasn't mentioned racing

Matt
  • simonj
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Hongfu FM089:
    http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_produc ... 9-269.html - the money saved by not buying some stickers will get you some decent wheels too
    If you're the kind of person who worries about warranty and is 'precious' about bikes, then suggest CX racing might not be the thing for you.
    Interesting, how much, also does it do internal Di2?
  • alesupper
    The Cannondale would be a cracking bike but it's too rich for me I'm afraid. So far the Boardman CRX 9.8 is my Favoured choice.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Genesis 953 Croix fer Fer is listed at 1.93kg and another 0.92kg for the fork. So not light at all.

An 8 kg build is very doable but with a carbon frame like Monty dog posted and lots of light bits. Try shimano R685 STi's and Ultegra 6800, Deda Superlegarro bars and stem, Carbon fibre MTB rims (from china they are quite good Hong fu/Deng fu do them) on Novatec hubs. Fit some wide tyres (challange strada's for example) and you will have a 8kg bike that will ride like a dream.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
  • simonj
    Did you ever or has anyone got the CXR 9.8 yet. Looking myself with great interest, want to build a carbon CX with discs with internal cables and Di2. Don't want cables on the top tube if can help it as my short legs means I just end up with a scratched top tube or have to put heli tape along it. Felt F1x is also an option, but prefer the Boardman due to internal cabling.
  • alesupper
    simonj wrote:
    Did you ever or has anyone got the CXR 9.8 yet. Looking myself with great interest, want to build a carbon CX with discs with internal cables and Di2. Don't want cables on the top tube if can help it as my short legs means I just end up with a scratched top tube or have to put heli tape along it. Felt F1x is also an option, but prefer the Boardman due to internal cabling.

That is amazing timing because I have just ordered the CXR 9.8 this morning and it should arrive in the shop next week. Once it is built up I will report back and maybe post a photo as well :D

I've been looking around for ages but nothing comes close to the CXR with its low weight, internal cabling and mudguard mounts. Plus it looks smart as well IMO.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I'm not sure why either a winter or CX bike "need" to be 8kg. Of course, if budget allows, then why the hell not. My Bivio X is about 2.2kg including fork so if you added SRAM Force, Trp Spyre and some 1600g wheels then you're probably on course for 8kg. I think mine, with Apex, is around 9kg but it keeps up quite easily with other's summer bikes and is like lightning off road.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • simonj
    alesupper wrote:
    simonj wrote:

That is amazing timing because I have just ordered the CXR 9.8 this morning and it should arrive in the shop next week. Once it is built up I will report back and maybe post a photo as well :D

I've been looking around for ages but nothing comes close to the CXR with its low weight, internal cabling and mudguard mounts. Plus it looks smart as well IMO.
    Perfect timing, can't wait to see what it looks like and here what it rides like. :D
  • simonj
    I'm not sure why either a winter or CX bike "need" to be 8kg. Of course, if budget allows, then why the hell not. My Bivio X is about 2.2kg including fork so if you added SRAM Force, Trp Spyre and some 1600g wheels then you're probably on course for 8kg. I think mine, with Apex, is around 9kg but it keeps up quite easily with other's summer bikes and is like lightning off road.
    Mine woudln't be a winter bike as such, more of a universal multi purpose bike. Great for rides in the summer that include elements of canal or other off road riding, but also being able to be used in the autumn/winter if needed. Already have an alloy CX, just want something a bit lighter and more compliant. Also with disc, would also be good as a potential longer distance multi day bike, where weather is not always certain and you can't nip home and get your other bike if it looks a bit grey in the morning. Last year I did a 4 day ride on a SuperX, which was very comfy and light - 3 of the days where ok'ish weather, but the 1 day over or just before the moors we had bad weather and the wet and road grit killed my rims to the point I threw them away as they had gone from 100% life to nearly nothing left on the marker in those 4 days.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I'd look into frame only and try to build it up. That way you benefit from the best wheels. Stuff like the CAAD X looks great but the wheels look like a weak spot, as do the brakes.

My Bivio is certainly not compliant but it is relatively light. If you don't have to have guards then something like frame only Planet X would be a really good bet. Build that up with SRAM Force 22 and some handbuilts and you should be easily knocking on the door of 8kg
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • alesupper
    Certainly doesn't 'need' to be sub 8KG but I am selling my current winter bike (CR1 Pro) which is 7.8KG so if I can get somewhere near that I will be a happy boy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    alesupper wrote:
    Certainly doesn't 'need' to be sub 8KG but I am selling my current winter bike (CR1 Pro) which is 7.8KG so if I can get somewhere near that I will be a happy boy.

If you get a CX bike, don't be obsessed about the weight. It's better to get something with a good geometry that weighs 1 Kg extra, than a piece of crap that weighs 8 Kg. As you go off road more often, you will appreciate good handling and cornering, which can come at some weight penalty.
    Avoid carbon steerers... they are very light, but they come loose at the stem every time you go over some bumpy terrain
    left the forum March 2023
  • simonj
    Yes only want frameset, already have all the other bits, H Plus Architype wheels , Hy/Rd brakes etc, also have full Red group ready to go, well on a Boardman CX 14 currently (prob around 8kg) waiting for a better more compliant frame. Also have virtually a whole Di2 11 groupset, so hence wanting Di2 ideally as love it on my Felt Z3.
  • simonj
    I'll openly admit my needs are probably not the same as many true CX users, want more a good road bike that can do a bit of light off road / canal work also rather than an outright CX.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    simonj wrote:
    I'll openly admit my needs are probably not the same as many true CX users, want more a good road bike that can do a bit of light off road / canal work also rather than an outright CX.

That's what most CX bikes end up doing... including mine.

However, based on my experience weight is not a relevant issue. A bad geometry can be and annoying components are definitively a no no. I got lured by a 450 grams full carbon fork and it was easily the worst thing I've ever bought.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you're doing a lot of offroad, then you'll want something more durable than regular CX tyres IMO - fine for riding around a muddy field but not for bouncing along the Southdowns Way. I rode the Dorset Gravel Dash 100 on my Kuota CX race bike but fitted 40mm Schwalbe Smart Sams - lighter weight tyres would only have been of use when shouldering the bike with shredded tyres!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am eying up a genesis dayone single speed frame, a CX bike does not need to be light it needs to perfom well off road. I quite like the tifosi CK6 like with an bike I always think starting with a frame alone is a good starting point and building up. Tektro spyre brakes would be my choice for mechanical but if you can wait until agust shimano are bringing out the RS685 braking system that will be awesome for road/cx use.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I went for the CXR 9.8 in the end and I am so glad I did. I absolutely love this bike, it does everything well. I have had it about a month now and ridden it loads on and off road and even done my first CX race on it. Highly recommended.

As it stands it weighs about 8.6kg. I could get this down a bit further with lighter wheels but to be honest I don't feel that I need to.

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg