Tight dropout on a steel frame

htk
htk Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Workshop
My old steel steel frame with forged dropout has a too tight dropout on the drive side. I guess someone has dropped it and it has bent. It is fine once you get the axle in the dropouts, but the "lip" of the dropout is too tight.
I've had to use a flathead screwdriver and hammer and tap the axle carefully to mount a wheel.

I tried to bend it more open once but didn't have the guts to use enough force. Is it safe to bend the dropout with force, or will it crack? Another option I thought of is to dremel the opening, but if it can be bent I guess that is a better solution.

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    You may have more control with a flat file as opposed to a dremel if you choose the option of removing some metal from the dropout
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Decent steel drop-outs are forged steel and can be manipulated a few mm if needed but best left to a framebuilder who can clamp the frame firmly before getting the 'heavy tools' out. If you simply tried to bend the drop-out, you might end up snapping the chain or seatstay. Also be wary that any bending may result in cracked paint
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..