Seatpost only compatible with cutaway saddles?

dmnc
dmnc Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I have bought a replacement saddle for my Specialized Langster 2014 but looking at the clamp on the seatpost it seems that it will only be compatible with saddles that have a cutaway for me to poke the allen key through. The problem is that the front bolt is pointing down with the head on top, not upwards as usual.

It is apparently a "Specialized Sport" post but I can't find a picture of the actual thing. I'm guessing a generic they throw on a lot of their lower end bikes.

However, this fancy post seems to have something similar: http://www.ambrosio.co.uk/Images/Seatpo ... carbon.jpg

You can see that the front bolt goes vertically downwards into a hinge (it looks like there is also a collar to adjust on that one but mine it just a hex bolt)

Is there some kind of trick that I am missing about how I am meant to mount this? Or do manufacturers really make seat posts that are only compatible with half the saddles out there?

It seems as though even if I could get the thing to mount by tightening the front bolt and a lot of twisting etc. it would be impossible to adjust the tilt of the saddle with only one bolt.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Obviously I'd prefer not to have to go and buy a whole new seatpost just to change the saddle

Comments

• blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Like This?$_1.JPG

Used to have a Giant Vector seatpost with a similar arrangement.

Trick is:
    Loosen the bolts
    Get the saddle into the rails
    Hand tighten the front bolt then the rear bolt so the saddle is just a tilts slightly forward than you would like it.
    Then tighten the back bolt to clamp the saddle in place, this tilts the saddle backwards marginally and tightens the whole clamp up.

Can be fiddly, but my saddle held firm for many miles on this post.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • dmnc
    Yes fairly similar to that. I'll give it a go.

Glad to know at least one person has braved sitting on one before me!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,124
    As stated, it's like putting up an old tent. Get in position then torque it down at the rear :-D

Says Swiss theonlylackofgrip Tony.

"Tightening up a seat post clamp is rather like making love to a beautiful woman, you put up the old tent, get in position then torque it down at the rear"

:D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dmnc
    "Start with your fingers then use the wrench"?

Nope. Sorry. Too much. I'll leave.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,124
    ..and make sure you grease the pole before insertion.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!