Stiff neck

funkyg
funkyg Posts: 68
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Hey. Noob here.
I've had an MTB for the last few years which I've ridden with no problems.
Now I have a road bike I seem to be getting a stiff neck after about an hour. Everything else is really comfy, even the saddle, but not the neck. I found I was lifting my head a lot while wearing my glasses, so now ride in my contact lenses, and I also raised the stem both of which seemed to help a little but not perfect.
Do I need to try and let my body adapt, or do I try look up more with my eyes than my move my head?
Cheers.
GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
Ridley R6 EL

Comments

• beski
    beski Posts: 542
    Are you wearing an MTB style helmet with a peak, if so removing the peak may help.
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • funkyg
    Yes I do have the peak on, I'll try it without.
    Thanks.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Your neck will slowly adapt to the road position - if it's really hurting then by all means change your position, but in the end you'll get used to it...
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    My neck limits my position on a roadbike too. The rest of my body seems fine with a lower more aero position than I currently ride (I have about 6omm saddle to bar drop) but my neck is slow to cooperate. I have gradually increased the saddle to bar drop over the past couple of years and my neck has adapted but I'm not sure that will continue. My current position is fine for most of the riding I do but I'd like to go lower using clip-on extensions for duathlons/triathlons. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to sustain a "good" position without neck problems.

Your neck is likely to slowly adapt as Slowbike said but it may take a while and may never get as flexible as you'd like.
    Some stretching exercises might help accelerate the process and avoid any strains. Don't try and force an uncomfortable position, you don't want to end up with long term neck problems. Also as mentioned earlier anything that increases the head-tilt required should be eliminated including the peak on your helmet and glasses with too low a frame.
  • Apollonius
    Apollonius Posts: 13
    I have just changed from a cheapo Aldi helmet to a proper road helmet for exactly this reason. The Aldi helmet was fine when sitting upright, but the extra weight and the fact that I was peering under the peak all the time gave me a stiff neck.

I now have a much lighter road helmet which is cut away at the front so you can see up the road without needing to bend your head back. The difference is remarkable.
  • funkyg
    Thanks for the input guys, I'll see how goes without the peak and I'll give it some time.
    I don't think my helmet is particularly heavy I'm probably just not used to the new position.
    As I said in the original post I don't have any aches or pains anywhere else (apart from the aches of physical exertion!) so I suppose I'm pretty lucky as a new roadie in that respect.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • Kimble
    Kimble Posts: 53
    All of the above apply. Definitely remove the peak for road cycling. I have had / do have your experience re glasses / contacts as well and you really do have to lift your head quite a few degrees more using glasses v contacts. Give it time though and your neck will strengthen so you can get your stem back down to a normal position for the rest of your body. Ai_1's suggestion re stretching quite good too.
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    I suffer neck problems.
    The longer the ride, the more stiffness and lack of movement after.
    Mtbs and non-racers will always be better for me but I have the road bug.

if you have a generally weak upper skeleton like me then I suspect nothing will help stop it. I have to live with that.

However, a few things will make a big difference.
    Some serious stretching of all the neck muscles before the ride and the odd session of chiro to keep your upper vertebrae I the best place.

During riding I will sit you straight non-handed where safe and I will do very gentle rotations at every break.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... lsrc=aw.ds

forgot to say... a neck Warmer makes a huge difference when it's cold.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • funkyg
    Sometimes it's the simple things!
    Took the peak off for last nights ride, no stiff neck!
    I'm also making a conscious effort to move my head less when looking up as well as using contact lenses.
    All combined seems to be helping.
    Thanks guys.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Good! You'll be happier for it. Hope it continues to improve
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group