how can i make a 57cm frame fit a shorty?

600stu
600stu Posts: 15
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
I usually ride MTB and have been wanting to get a road bike for a while now, but not done it due to lack of funds.

I have acquired for free, a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 C2C which was a friends winter bike. Its missing wheels, handlebars, seat, stem and pedals at the minute, so i'm on the lookout for suitable components on the super cheap.

The thing is, i'm 5 foot 7 with a 30" inside leg and the bike is a 57cm frame. I've read quite a few threads on here and elsewhere about fitting bikes to rider and importance of test rides etc, but for now i can't do either.

Is there any possiblility that through correct component choice i could make this bike fit me well enough to ride for an hour or two at a time? (wouldn't get out on it for any longer atm, young kids!)

For example i was looking at a frame dimension chart:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fepic-cycles.co.uk%2Fimages%2FBianchi-VN7-geom.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.epic-cycles.co.uk%2Fbianchi-via-nirone-7-alu-carbon-veloce-55cm-101-p.asp&h=955&w=800&tbnid=3kRjEoF1-tHH8M%3A&zoom=1&docid=l0Lt7nZuYB1t3M&ei=c_RrU6mVOc_G7Aahh4DgAw&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&ved=0CFsQMygEMAQ&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=2599&page=1&start=0&ndsp=16

and looking at the difference in top tube length between a 57cm frame and a 53cm frame, its 26mm shorter. Would it be reasonable to fit a 70cm stem rather than the 100cm stem that would have been on the bike as new?

Any other tips, ideas or things to look out for before I squander my limited resources on components for a bike I won't be able to ride?

Comments

• I'm the same size as you and would say that (on first inspection) it will be too large - will you be able to standover the top tube ?

My bikes are 48 / 50 :shock:
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Stand over is bollox and any LBS that measures frame size by stand over is stuck in the dark ages. But, I'm similar height to you and I agree with the previous poster that that frame is much too big for you. I'm a similar height to you and as a rule wouldn't go any larger than a relevant top tube length of 52cm and preferably between 48-51. Not only is it uncomfortable riding with a too long top tube, the aesthetics would look pants.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    According to Evans's Bianchi sizing chart your inside leg suits a 51cm frame, your height suits a 53cm frame so a 52cm would be an ideal fit.
    A 57cm is way tooooooooo big it may only be slightly bigger on paper but that makes a hell of difference when your on it.
    I am 5'8" and have a 54cm compact frame which fits perfectly and a 54cm standard frame which is far to big for me I have fitted a shorter stem and inline post and it still feels pants.
    The best frame is one that fits regardless of material or price, sell the one you have on here or fleabay and get one the correct size before wasting money on components to get the other one to fit you.
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Putting a short stem on to compensate for a longer top tube will affect the handling too, it'll be a lot less stable.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    no...buy a frame that's the right size (52-54)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Putting a short stem on to compensate for a longer top tube will affect the handling too, it'll be a lot less stable.

A short stem won't make much difference really - not after the first five minutes once you've got used to it.

As for the OPs problem - limb extensions seem like the most practical solution to make the frame fit!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I think a shorter stem won't be the answer here, even if the stem was zero length I still think it's going to be too long, and even with the saddle at minimum the bike will be too tall.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Basically no you cant. Thats way too big.

Your seat will probably be sitting on the top tube and the stem would need to be tiny and even still you would probably feel discomfort.

I am your size and the largest in a road bike I would go is probably a 53cm.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    goonz wrote:
    Your seat will probably be sitting on the top tube...

Not to disagree that the frame is too big (I'm 5' 10" with a 33" inseam, and the largest frame I've ridden - late 80's - was a 60cm, albeit with a 12cm stem) but having a short seatpost was the norm 30 years ago, so actually nothing wrong with it - it's just not currently fashionable. :)
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Definitely nothing wrong with it, but boy does it look ugly! :)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    rafletcher wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Your seat will probably be sitting on the top tube...

Not to disagree that the frame is too big (I'm 5' 10" with a 33" inseam, and the largest frame I've ridden - late 80's - was a 60cm, albeit with a 12cm stem) but having a short seatpost was the norm 30 years ago, so actually nothing wrong with it - it's just not currently fashionable. :)

My last bike had a 23.5" (60cm) frame with a pretty much horizontal top tube, I have a 33" leg.

But... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bianchi-carbo ... 3ce10ad86e
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I am same height as you and have a Via Nirone and a Sempre Pro. Both are 53cm frames and wheras the Sempre pro is perfect for me at this size , the Via Nirone is actually all in all larger. I would have preferred a 50cm looking back. I would say the size you have is way too big and is never going to fit you properly no matter how much you play with stem and seat height/length . Weird thing is, although the Sempre fits me better, the Via Nirone is almost perfect for my wife who is 2 inches shorter but since she has longer legs its a good fit for her.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have an Audax bike with a 57cm frame and I am only 5'8" with a 29 inch inside leg. I bought it new over 7 years ago and the LBS convinced me it was the right size and that I would get used to the stretch as I hadn't used drop bars before. I didn't get used to it, so I tried various different stems and eventually found a short adjustable stem that combined with moving the saddle forward a bit, worked for me. I use the bike a lot for commuting and leisure rides and it is now really comfortable to ride, albeit not very aerodynamic.
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    Strip the bike down and sell the frame, with that money buy a frame in the right size, build the bike back up, great learning process. :)
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending