What's in your day pack?

Xommul
Xommul Posts: 251
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hi folks,

I'm new to mountain biking but have been road cycling for some time. I'm off to wales on a 3 day tour of forests and bike parks.

I have a list of what I'm taking in my day pack and was wondering if it needs more or less.

Osprey kestrel 28 day Pack and 2l reservoir
Phone, wallet keys in grip seal bag +£10 cash
Shock and tyre pumps
Multi tool with chain splitter
Spoke key
Spare hanger
Cable ties
Small reel of gaffs tape
Latex gloves
Chain links
2 spare tubes but I'm running tubeless
I have a garmin 810 and to keep it charged have a power monkey and solar panel including the adapters for phone
Small first aid kit
Go pro and spare batt
Anti bacterial hand gel
Energy gel and bars plus usual food of bananas, flap jack, haribo , malt loaf etc
Electrolyte tabs and sachets of energy powder
Spare t shirt and socks (wet weather only)
Spare grip seal bags
Carrier bags to keep stuff dry

Think that's it, seems a lot but it's not that heavy.

So what's missing or what's overkill?

Cheers folks
MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What's the REAL reason you carry cable ties, gaffer tape and latex gloves? It's not for fixing your bike is it?
  • Xommul
    Ha ha... Brilliant that does Sound well dodgy I guess, just for those breakdown emergency times!
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
  • 7448stewart
    7448stewart Posts: 79
    Bit too much if u ask me but it all depends on what type of riding u will be doing? An how far ull be from ur base ur staying at of a night or ur car in the day
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Bit too much if u ask me but it all depends on what type of riding u will be doing? An how far ull be from ur base ur staying at of a night or ur car in the day

Is your keyboard broken?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035

Is ur keyboard broken?

FTFY
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    I have most of the practical stuff you list at the start. Pumps, tubes, tools, cable ties etc. I might carry some Belvita biscuits, or a sandwich if its a Leo Sayer, but I think energy gels/sachets etc are overkill.
    I also carry a cheap, very small folding waterproof jacket.
    I think taking too much stuff, especially electricals/GPS/recharging stuff, would take away why Im going out on my bike in the first place (the freedom). Phone is obviously a must though.
  • Xommul
    Cheers for the replies

We are doing Cwmcarn which is a 3-4 hour ish jaunt, then the day after 7-8 hours at Afan. Then final day at BPW so that day i will have a smaller pack with a lot less in it, possibly just the reservoir and phone plus a spare or two.

I will probably tune down whats in the pack tonight

Thanks
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Loose the GPS and charging stuff. Google maps on your phone and an OS map is all you ever need.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Certainly don't need the charging stuff, charge overnight. Fair enough to take the GPS though.
  • Xommul
    edited May 2014
    Yes all good advice.

Dropped the charging stuff after first day when I noted how much juice my phone used, plus signal was dodgy anyway.

Should have taken some ibulieve for a mates fall and subsequent sore wrist.

Other than that everything else went along and up 2 cwmcarn trails and Afan Parks W2. I took more gels and food than i needed but ended up dishing some out to mates who were bonking.

For bike park wales only a smaller back pack with minimal spares and almost no food.

Thanks got all the help
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
  • Like most of the guys have already said I'd ditch all the charging gear.

And as your close to roads/trail centre the extra gels etc seem over kill.

Only other thing I'd suggest was a survival bag/bivvy but that would only be if you were really going exploring away from known routes and trails, I guess same could be said for that being overkill but they weigh next to nothing and could be really helpful in a sticky situation.

Last thing, if you're going in a group why not get together before the ride next time & rationalise your kit eg as a group only take 1 pump, 1 chain splitter etc. that could drastically reduce your individual carrying weight and the overall group weight.
    Cube Sting 140 Pro 29er 2014
    Specialized Hockhopper SL comp 2011
    Carrera Vulcan 2009 - retired
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Xommul wrote:

Osprey kestrel 28 day Pack and 2l reservoir - Dakine Drafter with 2l reservoir
    Phone, wallet keys in grip seal bag +£10 cash - Check
    Shock and tyre pumps - Only carry normal pump
    Multi tool with chain splitter - Allen keys and seperate splitter
    Spoke key - Yep
    Spare hanger - nope
    Cable ties - a couple
    Small reel of gaffs tape - wrapped round pump
    Latex gloves - what? why?!
    Chain links - nope
    2 spare tubes but I'm running tubeless - I tube and a tube repair kit, I run tubes
    I have a garmin 810 and to keep it charged have a power monkey and solar panel including the adapters for phone - map if I need it
    Small first aid kit - yep
    Go pro and spare batt - not unless I am riding the bike park
    Anti bacterial hand gel - why?!
    Energy gel and bars plus usual food of bananas, flap jack, haribo , malt loaf etc - maybe if I am off into the wilds
    Electrolyte tabs and sachets of energy powder - nope
    Spare t shirt and socks (wet weather only) - nope - if you need spare socks surely you need dry shoes too?
    Spare grip seal bags - nope
    Carrier bags to keep stuff dry - nope

I dont carry any other stuff I dont think - light jacket in wet or threatening to be wet weather.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.