Which £200-500 bike with Grip Shift gears?

Paul_LFC_1892
Paul_LFC_1892 Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to get a new bike for £200-500 and I like Grip Shift gears.

Which bike would you recommend that also has disc brakes?

I ride on the road 95% of the time with only a little bit of off-road riding - tracks and footpaths.

Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    99.9% of bikes are not specced with grip shift - unless they are very low end gripshift, in which case they will be attached to a rubbish bike.

I'd get a bike that suits you and fits, then swap the gearing.
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    Sorry, I thought you said you liked grip shifts for a moment and I got some sick in my mouth. :-)

As above, you'll have to look very hard to find anything other than a BSO with grip shifts, for good reason.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Daerve wrote:

As above, you'll have to look very hard to find anything other than a BSO with grip shifts, for good reason.

Other than bikes with XX1 on, perhaps?
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    Between £200 and £500 no.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    Haven't seen a grip-shift on any bikes in any of my local shops. Probably for good reason.

Last bike I had with a grip shift was a Raleigh Grifter.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Raleigh-Grifter-barn-found-/321394736910
    (Which slipped mid gear shift going uphill and sent me through the windscreen of a mini cooper. I'm never going to use a grip-shift again.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A lot of people get on well with gripshifts, I have one on my commuter (X0 with an X9 rear mech).

SRAM make gripshifts in good quality for 9 speed, you can get a SRAM equipped bike and use an X5/X9/X0 or a Shimano and use a named shifter like the Centari (not favoured)/MRX or Attack.

You probably need to budget about £60 for the shifters and fitting (unless you can DIY), bike wise I'd suggest the Voodoo Hoodoo and then use Attack or MRX shifters.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited May 2014
    I think a lot of the objection to grip-shift is simply because they're not 'cool'. My girlfriend's bike has grip-shift and it works absolutely fine – easy to shift and very positive. All you have to do is get used to rotating your hand to the right position for the shift(s) you're about to make (which comes naturally after a while) and it works a treat. There's slightly more hand effort required but nothing that makes a whole lot of difference.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    Why grip shift ??
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Decent quality grip shift works well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    cooldad wrote:
    Decent quality grip shift works well.

Indeed they do. But about as fashionable as herpes.

'The Rookie' has given good advice. Basically, at that price, get the right bike then change the shifters.

Buying a bike because you like the shifters is like buying a house because you like the door knobs
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I agree which is why I don't have any any more.

Or, as far as I know, herpes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Cooldad, a member of the Fashion Police :shock: