Tour o' the Borders 2014

nweststeyn
nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
Closed roads, and a new date. The weather last year was referred to by some riders as 'biblical', with flooding, people being blown off bikes and riders turning home early on. That was in April!

This year, the route will be on closed roads on the 10th of August.

Who is in?

http://tourotheborders.com/

Comments

• ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Belladrum weekend or I'd be there!
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Yup

Entered, riding with a team of 6 that I`ve never met yet,, bar 1 :D

First sportive ever, and panicking about times, miles, food, chamois cream :D:D
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    I'm in for this one...Can't be worst weather than last time.

Closed roads should be good - August means that they shouldn't be flooded either...
  • nweststeyn
    Well that was pretty awful for me. Great route and organisation but poor decision making on my part to over indulge at a wedding the day before, not sleep enough, skip breakfast and not carry enough food. Major hangover and bonk meant I really struggled in the final 40km. Finish time a poor(er than expected) 4:19.20.

Alan on the mic at the finish: "Here comes a Carse of Gowrie rider... he doesn't look very happy".
  • I missed it due to this back issue, but the other guys enjoyed it,, said it was wet and muddy though !.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    Weather wasn't actually as bad as what it could have been today. It came on heavy with about 5k to go for me but the route overall was manageable.

Well done everyone who participated. I expected results to be release by now?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • nweststeyn
    RaceAhead are doing something to their website at the moment so now sure when results will be uploaded.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Well that was pretty awful for me. Great route and organisation but poor decision making on my part to over indulge at a wedding the day before, not sleep enough, skip breakfast and not carry enough food. Major hangover and bonk meant I really struggled in the final 40km. Finish time a poor(er than expected) 4:19.20.

Alan on the mic at the finish: "Here comes a Carse of Gowrie rider... he doesn't look very happy".

:lol:

You should have said hello.
  • Arkose
    Arkose Posts: 1
    Top event, well done to the organisers. Hope the fallers were OK, policeman said broken bones but nothing too serious.

Dunno about the boy with the mic, described my finish sprint as ugly bloke in black takes on ugly in red and ugly in green. I would have won if it wasn't for the commentary putting me off.
  • nweststeyn
    Alan A wrote:
    nweststeyn wrote:

:lol:

You should have said hello.

I was on a bonk mate, not feeling too chatty :D next time!

Enjoyed your comment at the start though - "I saw a few fatties in wave 1 guys so you should have no bother"
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Arkose wrote:
    Dunno about the boy with the mic, described my finish sprint as ugly bloke in black takes on ugly in red and ugly in green. I would have won if it wasn't for the commentary putting me off.

:lol: After 8 hours standing in the rain everyone was ugly. Especially me.
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    It was a good day out. A puncture and then soft tyre meant I gave up all hope of a good time and decided to take my time and enjoy it. I even stopped at a feedstop for a change - the macroni pies were excellent as was the cup of tea.

Got confused by Alan on the mic at the start and thought we were back at the 3 pistes - (I was wearing the 3P jersey) 6.30am in Peebles Highstreet must be a tough gig for a comedian...

At the end, you could be heard about a mile away - meant we knew it wasn't far to go. Not exactly a hill top finish but an interesting ramp to challenge the legs to sprint on.
  • tedmaul
    tedmaul Posts: 31
    I really enjoyed it - thought it was a great event. First time for me cycling in that part of the world, was amazed at how much better the road surfaces were compared to south lanarkshire!! :D Some great scenery, really well organised and a much better route than the etape caledonia (ie it actually had some hills!).

I was one of those suckered with a ridiculously early start in wave 1. Trying to eat a full breakfast at 5am wasn't easy. Wasn't really aiming for a time, but made it round in 3hrs 44m, so pleased with that. Reckon I'll probably be back next year.