Frameset only

Dezza
Dezza Posts: 155
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I was wondering if its possible to buy only a frameset for the popular brand models out there?

I've built my missus bike up with some half decent kit but she really needs a size smaller frame, I like the look of the new Trek Silique but would want to use all the kit on the exiting bike (money saving and she likes her existing SRAM). However, there seems to be very few examples of Trek framesets for sale. Has anyone had experience of buying frames only outside the likes of PX/Ribble/Kinesis/Steel etc? Is this something a Trek affiliated LBS can do?

Ta.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Yes but you'll have to speak to a retailer direct as they don't bring all framesets to Europe.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    Cool... thanks.
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Most larger Trek dealers in the UK can access framesets via the Project One route. They don't list them on the consumer version of the website but the dealer Project One website has them listed.

I had looked at a Madone only frame set and could do this. You can even get custom paint on a frameset only purchase.
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    All my bikes have been built from a frameset plus components. Not too difficult to do, but you do need several tools, some specalised. You obviously need a bit of knowhow and chutzpa. Very rewarding though. And when something goes wrong out in the wild, you know how to fix it. Go for it, but do check if the frame needs any non-standard bits that need sourcing for the build.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    jimwin wrote:
    All my bikes have been built from a frameset plus components. Not too difficult to do, but you do need several tools, some specalised. You obviously need a bit of knowhow and chutzpa. Very rewarding though. And when something goes wrong out in the wild, you know how to fix it. Go for it, but do check if the frame needs any non-standard bits that need sourcing for the build.

Eh??
    Did you actually read the OP's question properly?
  • tonye_n wrote:
    jimwin wrote:

Eh??

It was a cool story though....
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Can you go the dealer route with all manufacturers? I was interested in Cannondale is all.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a complete bike, strip it of everything, build it to your own spec and sell off the unwanted items. For instance, I wanted a Wilier GTR as a second bike. Price for the frameset was £1,300 but a built up bike with Veloce and FSA etc I could get for £1,400. Stripped it and sold everything for £400 meaning the framest cost me £1,000 instead of the £1,300.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    tonye_n wrote:
    jimwin wrote:

Eh??
    Dezza wrote:
    Hi all

Has anyone had experience of buying frames only outside the likes of PX/Ribble/Kinesis/Steel etc? Is this something a Trek affiliated LBS can do?

Ta.

I *was* answering the question above - yes, I do have experience of buying frames only. My most recent build was a Wiggle Verenti carbon job and prior to that a Van Nic Titanium. And FWIW, any decent LBS ought to be able to build a bike to spec whether or not affiliated to Trek.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Miles253 wrote:
    Can you go the dealer route with all manufacturers? I was interested in Cannondale is all.

Cannondale only started doing the Supersix as frameset only a few years ago. They've now expanded it to include the Synapse as well. It's only the Hi-Mod frames though, which for the model year are about £2500. PY framesets get down to about £1500 on average.

Sigma, Westbrook stock them as well as QWERTY cycles, others if you Google :)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Scotter
    Scotter Posts: 52
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:

Cannondale only started doing the Supersix as frameset only a few years ago. They've now expanded it to include the Synapse as well. It's only the Hi-Mod frames though, which for the model year are about £2500. PY framesets get down to about £1500 on average.

Westbrook are good to deal with. I got my Addict SL frameset from them a few years back. 8)
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Paul's Cycles has a 2012 Evo Hi-Mod for £1500, in 54 only, Miles.

My local 'Dale dealers can source most frames, but I'm given to understand that's not universal.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:

Ah, thank you, I actually was considering the High mod anyway, but for £2500 it probably makes more sense to buy the full bike and strip anything I don't want. Sell.

Unfortunately MisterMuncher I'm a 6 ft 4 might be a tad small for me, ah, thanks though
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group