Forum phone App for PHPBB Forums

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited May 2014 in The cake stop
I noticed there are apps like Forum Reader and Forum Runner that might make a better mobile phone experience on these forums???

Anyone tried any on iOS or Android with any success??

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Tapatalk is the one I use for loads of different forums, but the owners of this forum refuse to support it.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mfin
    Ah, I thought that perhaps some of these apps worked by simply parsing the existing websites as the phpbb output is fundamentally similar... it just occurred to me that it was possible and that someone might have made something like that.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    mfin wrote:
    Ah, I thought that perhaps some of these apps worked by simply parsing the existing websites as the phpbb output is fundamentally similar... it just occurred to me that it was possible and that someone might have made something like that.

Similar but not the same. It's a simple process to install a file which allows access, but as we all know the owners of this site are obsessed with advertising revenue over and above user experience.
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

Similar but not the same. It's a simple process to install a file which allows access, but as we all know the owners of this site are obsessed with advertising revenue over and above user experience.

Hmmm... I'd have thought that if they were to charge a subscription per year and for that you get:

(1) no adverts shown (don't know if that's possible within PHPBB ...although we all know how to get rid of them by other methods anyway)
    (2) proper mobile access (if you can restrict it to only paid subscribed accounts)

...I would have thought a lot of people would go for that at a £10 p/a or something??