Overshoes

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am generally quite a warm person, especially when out on the bike so don't like covering up, but just recently I seem to pick wet days to ride on and whilst the rain doesn't bother me, my shoes getting wet through inside does, especially if I'm riding the next day and they're still wet for that ride too. I'm guessing the cure is overshoes? So can anyone recommend overshoes that will keep my shoes and feet dry, but (if possible) aren't going to be too warm and ending up me having shoes wet with sweat instead of rain?

Do overshoes protect well against rain running down your legs into the shoes as this seems to be one of main entry routes for water when I'm cycling (as well as through the vent areas).

Thank you!!
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Do you not have an airing cupboard?

Don't forget to remove the inner soles too.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Buy two pairs of shoes then alternate them
  • Schoie81
    No airing cupboard - combi-boiler....

Two pairs of shoes is an option, and I was thinking of getting a second pair for another reason anyway.

Can I assume that you two aren't fans of overshoes? If so, for any particular reason?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    All overshoes are going to keep your feet warmer as they are another layer, some thinner ones are these http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Shimano-Tarmac-H2O-Road-Overshoes/SHIMZOSH280 (that's if they are the same as the old Pro Tarmac H20 overshoes, which I am assuming they are as Pro are made by Shimano)

As far as water running down your legs and into them, it can happen, but the better they fit at the ankle the less this will happen of course.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    edited May 2014
    Feet tend to sweat a bit with waterproof overshoes in the warmer months. Windproof (windstopper / windtex) overshoes will breathe a bit better than fully waterproof but won't hold off as much rain/spray.
    Water running down your legs is a problem as shoes can get soaked in minutes. What I do if it's very wet is use a pair of drysuit latex wrist seals at the top of the overshoes. They form a great seal between your bare skin and the overshoes and stop water running down.
    The latex seals can be bought from Ebay for about £7. They are XL latex cone wrist seals that can be trimmed down so they aren't too tight. Living in Wales I use them a lot -they work and have lasted well.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Schoie81 wrote:
    No airing cupboard - combi-boiler....

Two pairs of shoes is an option, and I was thinking of getting a second pair for another reason anyway.

Can I assume that you two aren't fans of overshoes? If so, for any particular reason?

Quite the opposite, I wear them for 90% of my rides. I use thin fabric ones by DHB most of the time, and thicker Castelli neoprene ones when it is colder.

The fact is, though, that if it is raining then you are going to get wet feet, and your shoes are going to be wet and need drying out: no overshoes do a perfect job.

If you don't have somewhere to dry your shoes well, then take the inner soles out and use something to dry them. For my rock climbing shoes I use boot banannas which remove sweat and keep them smelling nice. You could instead just go for paper towels, or silica bags, or rice.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706

My feet are too hot/sweaty in them, so i don't see the point of them.

Im odd or something as I never seem to feel the cold, as much as other people do, as even in winter, I still usually were short fingered mitts & a short sleeved jersey, when everyone else has about 3 layers on, gillets, jacket, leggings overshoes etc.

Loads of people wear them though.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    mfin wrote:
    All overshoes are going to keep your feet warmer as they are another layer, some thinner ones are these http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Shimano-Tarmac-H2O-Road-Overshoes/SHIMZOSH280 (that's if they are the same as the old Pro Tarmac H20 overshoes, which I am assuming they are as Pro are made by Shimano)

As far as water running down your legs and into them, it can happen, but the better they fit at the ankle the less this will happen of course.

+1, these are excellent. I've had a pair of the old PRO version for a few years and they've been great.

They might be a little warm for spring though, so have a look at the Aqua-light from Prendas.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-aqua-light-winter-overshoes.html
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • The Prendas wind tunnel thingys are ok
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Overshoes do help to keep your shoes dry to a point but whether you get home with dry socks depends a lot on the amount of rain and the length of the ride as well as the overshoe.

Front mudguards probably do as much to keep your feet dry as the overshoes - the two together is the best bet.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Schoie81
    Moonbiker wrote:
    My feet are too hot/sweaty in them, so i don't see the point of them.

Im odd or something as I never seem to feel the cold, as much as other people do, as even in winter, I still usually were short fingered mitts & a short sleeved jersey, when everyone else has about 3 layers on, gillets, jacket, leggings overshoes etc.

If you're odd then I am too!! I do wear full gloves if its really cold in winter as my finger tips get really cold, especially when doing 30mph+ down hills. It has to be really cold AND wet to get my arms covered up though when on the bike and the shorts come out for anything above 3 degrees. I sometimes go riding with my boss, me in my shorts and short sleeved top and him rugged up for winter....

I think I might do down the second pair of shoes route so I can leave one pair to dry, especially as I had considered getting a different coloured pair for wet weather riding anyway (mine are white and look really grotty when it rains). If overshoes are never going to be a 100% solution and will probably lead to increased sweating then they're probably not the answer for me. Front mud guard is a sensible suggestion though as I do feel more of the wet comes off the road/front tyre than it does out of the sky.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its just damp shoes thats the problem then overshoes wont help much. Enough water will still get in and your feet will sweat anyway.

When you get in bung scrumpled up newspaper in the shoes to draw the moisture out. Take that out after a couple of hours and let the shoes air dry.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I got a cheap set from planet x and they seem to do the job.

Was riding home from work yesterday and had about 3 hours of rain to contend with. When I got home my shoes were a bit damp but I wouldn't say soaked.

If you want completely dry feet then it just isnt going to happen when the rain is heavy
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Only way to really stop water running down your legs into shoes, is to tape the top of overshoes to your legs
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Scrunch up loads of newspaper and squeeze it in your wet shoes after a ride - you'll be surprised how much water the paper soaks up