Old school bike shop

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I need to get a bottom bracket out of an old (1990) steel frame, and its stuck fast.
Its an old mavic 600 series bottom bracket, still silky smooth but I need to get it out for a respray and resoration project. The bb is only threaded into the frame on one side, the other side is supported by a cap. In theory the frame should be chamfered before fitting but it does not look like this happened, hence why its probably stuck. A brilliant long life BB, but typically french in the odd fitting process!

i've broke a couple of tools and tried a variety of methods and can't budge it so think its going to have to be destroyed to get it out.

Does anyone know of a good bike shop in the south that could do this sort of job. my local won't touch it, it needs someone a little more old school! I live in hampshire, I'm prepared to travel a bit.

I won't be restoring the frame until next year but I want to get this bb out now as it will only get worse if I leave it longer.

many thanks

Comments

• arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    City Cycles in Chichester may fit the bill, Martin is a good bike mechanic.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    GA Cycles in Shirley Southampton.
    Matt is a very good mechanic

MAtt
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Alternatively a frame builder may be able to assist especially if the b/b threads or general area need cleaning up after removal
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    A bit of a hike but no doubt Argos Cycles in Bristol could sort it

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mavic 610/616 series BBs are threadless - they rely on a chamfered collar on either side that engage with a matching chamfer cut into the BB. If you can get one lockring off, the whole unit should slide out:
    http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 9&AbsPos=2
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,124
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Mavic 610/616 series BBs are threadless - they rely on a chamfered collar on either side that engage with a matching chamfer cut into the BB. If you can get one lockring off, the whole unit should slide out:
    http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 9&AbsPos=2

Are those BB's like the old FAG BB's? 'Cos that was a nightmare to get out once it gave up the ghost.

@simmo72 - have you poured tons of WD40 down the seat tube and left it. There are some industrial types too, go to a local car parts dealer.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    Yep, tried loads of wd40 and garage specials, it's not moving. It should as mentioned above come out once one side is off but it's not playing ball. Southampton or Chichester are easy reach so thank you.

I do plan to send to a frame builder, Ellis briggs who have said they can get it out but I can't do the restoration this year someone want to send it twice. I will just feel very assured once the bb is out and I know the job is done.
  • arthur_scrimshaw
    arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
    matt-h wrote:
    GA Cycles in Shirley Southampton.
    Matt is a very good mechanic

MAtt

:lol:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW WD40 is a pretty rubbish pentration fluid - it's just light oil in a solvent carrier. Better off trying some PlusGas - expect it's simply down to corrosion inside the BB shell that's holding it in position - methinks you're not hitting it hard enough ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,124
    Monty sais, "Bang the thing harder" !
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I think you're going to need a bigger hammer.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    This is the kind of job that bike shops hate. As a customer you will have to be prepared to accept the possibility that :
    1) they might not be able to remove the old bottom bracket
    2) even if they do there's no guarantee they might not damage something else in the process.

Remember as a teenager taking a steel frame to my local old skool bike shop with the same problem you have and he turned me away for reasons 1 and 2 above. And he had worked on bikes for 40 years.

I would have another go yourself- try heating things up first with a heatgun (used for paintstripping)
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Have you tried applying heat to the locking collars, then rapidly cooling with freezing spray?