Chain damage marks on seat stay?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I've noticed these marks on the drive side seat stay. I'm assuming they are from the chain but can't visualise the circumstances that would result in this sort of damage.

Any suggestions? Is there something wrong with my set up or will this happen if you're riding hard and have a clumsy gear change?

Another reason for me to avoid carbon perhaps as I do seem to be hard on my bikes...

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    that's nothing to do with the chain - unless you've been throwing it around without the back wheel in ... the chain just can't get there.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you've ever split the chain while it's still in the big ring and hence under quite a bit of tension, and lost your grip on one end of the oily little b@stard, it's quite possible for the rear mech to whip it round and thrash the seatstay taking out a series of paint chips. Probably.... :oops:
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    What he said^^^

The chain can mark the chainstay or the bottom of the seat tube and top of the bottom bracket if you drop the chain but I can't see how it would be responsible for those marks. It's not clear from the photo but are those marks just big paint chips or is there deformation of the metal too? they look pretty severe.
    I'd suspect something like having been in banging against something hard and heavy while in transport in the back of the car or similar.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They look to me to be spaced suspiciously like the links in a chain. Just like the chips on the D/S seatstay of my alu bike. And I know how that happened...

On the plus side, Kinesis sent me some touch-up paint free of charge :D
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    keef66 wrote:
    They look to me to be spaced suspiciously like the links in a chain. Just like the chips on the D/S seatstay of my alu bike. And I know how that happened...

On the plus side, Kinesis sent me some touch-up paint free of charge :D
    Apologies missed your post earlier. I suppose that's a possibility. I wasn't thinking about maintenance activities, just chain bounce, droppages etc...