Scott addict R2 broken cable lug

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited May 2014 in Workshop
Hi, I'm picking up a Scott addict R2 frame tomorrow which is in good condition but had a broken cable lug on the chainstay near the rear derailleur, the outer cable is held up with a cable tie and luckily being the lug on the chainstay isn' very noticable. Does anyone know if there might be a way to repair the chipped off lug? or am I going to have to leave a cable tie there? I was thinking something to mould to the correct shape that will set solid and maybe glue it on with epoxy then paint the repair black the same as the other lugs? Any thoughts?

Comments

• carl1983
    _121.jpg
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    brave if you don't know the full provenance!

Scott themselves have repaired one of my bikes - ripped out rear dropout.

Provided that is definitely only the lug and definitely no structural damage carbon repairs would be able to sort it out. Personally id be asking for an xray first or you may be throwing cash away and eat tarmac in a horrible way later.

I wouldn't be buying a used frame from someone who was happy with the solution in the picture above though!!!!

Whatever you do, good luck with it.
  • carl1983
    brownbosh wrote:
    brave if you don't know the full provenance!

Scott themselves have repaired one of my bikes - ripped out rear dropout.

Provided that is definitely only the lug and definitely no structural damage carbon repairs would be able to sort it out. Personally id be asking for an xray first or you may be throwing cash away and eat tarmac in a horrible way later.

I wouldn't be buying a used frame from someone who was happy with the solution in the picture above though!!!!

Whatever you do, good luck with it.

I will be checking the frame over before I part with any money! It is a common problem with the Addict frame they are known to break on the cable lugs so it would be a fairly safe bet to assume it is just the cable lug affected especially as the person I am buying from lives very local to me and has assured me the frame has been perfect to use with the cable tie holding the outer cable up.
  • carl1983
    I think what I need would be a rivet on cable stop and glue it with epoxy. Does anyone know where to buy these cable stops in the UK? I found a site in the USA so they are available.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,124
    This do?

$_12.JPG

fleabay: 181401687990

Or

$_12.JPG

Item, No.: 2714750080
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • carl1983
    This do?

$_12.JPG

fleabay: 181401687990

Or

$_12.JPG

Item, No.: 2714750080

Yeah saw those on ebay, Perhaps painted black might help the look to lol.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ceeway sell frame building materials including cable stops:
    http://www.framebuilding.com/Aluminum%2 ... tanium.htm
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..