tyres - pro-tection snakeskin etc..

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
These tyres with the added protection like schwalbe snakeskin conti pro-tection: are they primarily for those that run tubeless or is there much of a benefit of added protection if you are running tubed as well?

would you buy the pro-tection version over the lighter non-protection (I'm primarily thinking about the conti x-king but in general as well)

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ime especially where Schwalbe are concerned at lot of it is marketing. The non-protection Schwalbes are really light and fast because the carcass is really thin and fragile. The 'protection' versions are basically normal tyres - a bit heavier, a bit slower and a bit more robust.

But that doesn't sound so good does it?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The protection versions have a thicker sidewall, so it protects again side wall damage, so if you wanted it you'd have it whether you were running tubes or tubeless.

As Blitz says Schwalbe add it to their ultralight tyres to give them a sidewall nearer to other makers tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    The Rookie wrote:
    The protection versions have a thicker sidewall, so it protects again side wall damage, so if you wanted it you'd have it whether you were running tubes or tubeless.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea then, given some of my riding is in pretty rocky areas - not to mention an obscene amount of broken glass and burnt out bits of old crossers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It doesnt really add anything to the tread, so it won't help with broken glass, only if you snag a sidewall on something sharp (roots can do it as well)....I run non snakeskin without issue, but we all ride different places!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    I have been running a Conti protection on the front and a std conti on the back, running around 30 psi and I have had around 10 punctures in the back and non in the front, the thicker side walls seem to allow you run lower pressure easily as well, I hadn't checked the front in a while and I had been riding around on 15 psi for a couple of weeks, thought it was gripping well :)

So I'm getting another protection for the rear, been using Trail Kings 2.2's
  • Ferrals
    Cheers, I'm unsure whether to get the pro-tection or not. the aspiring racer in me says no, the common sense person says an extra 80 grams is worth it and if I (eventually) switch to tubeless I'll save weight anyway.

THe number of punctures you've had suggests protection will be worth it!

EDIT: I just ordered the protection version (x-king 2.2) off nextday tyres. Phoned them up (twice :oops: ) and both times got excellent advice and unhurried advice and discussion about pros and cons. Great service - looking forward to the tyre to arrive now :D