Shimano rotors, two nearly identical models which one

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brak ... ors?f=2258

Please see above link, two models of shimano rotors, one says ice tech the other doesn't say ice tech but the rotor looks nearly the same with the black alloy spider and hole design. Which ones are better RT86 or RT76

Any ideas. Is the RT76 a pre ice tech version before they came with a fancy name for the design.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ice tech has a layer of aluminum for heat dissipation between the 2 layers of steel that are the braking faces, more money and unnecessary for most riders, only get it if you need it. Floating rotors add extra complication (and failure mode) for no real benefit, so I'd stick to a plain disc unless you NEED icetech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • abarth_1200
    Ah ok so completely different design, The ice techs are only £3 more I'm wondering now if it's worth just getting them as I often get my rotors overheating
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    RT-76 is an XT rotor
    RT-86 is an ice-tech XT rotor

get the ice-tech if they are only £3 more
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Quite like RT76s meself. Very flat and round and they seem to stay that way
  • abarth_1200
    Ok thanks for your help guys, I was needing them in a hurry and halfords a had some, but looking again they only have icetechs in 160mm! XT's it is then, just saved me £6.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    .blitz wrote:
    Quite like RT76s meself. Very flat and round and they seem to stay that way

Me too mine have been perfect straight from the box the Aluminium centre makes them very stiff and even when I clonked the back disc hard getting the bike out of a van it never warped.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap