Leaving a new job after 6 months

2»

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    VTech wrote:
    One thing I would like is a law surrounding the CV and what I "think" constitutes fraud.
    I know someone who went into business with a couple and it turned out that the background they said they had, was in fact a lie and in the end he lost over £2m from money this couple legally took from the business (i.e) over £100,000 on a website built by their friend !

Sadly, as far as I know, the police won't act on such matters ?

There is an offence, it is called obtaining a pecuniary advantage. Employers should check CV's thoroughly. I handed my ticket in on 28th Feb and my prospective new employer only confirmed last week that they were satisfied with all of their checks.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Well they ve sprung a meeting on me to "discuss my performance after a which a decision on my future employment may be made"

So it looks like the decision could be taken out of my hands either way :(

funny little word "may," hides a lot of sins...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bigaac
    bigaac Posts: 72
    Time to start taking advice from a professional then, and take somebody with you into the meeting. Did you have any 3 or 6 months reviews since starting? are you still in a trial period?
  • ddraver
    Yep. Been given the flick...

Maybe we did understand each other...

So anyone tried cycle messengering then?
    - @ddraver
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    bigaac wrote:
    Time to start taking advice from a professional then, and take somebody with you into the meeting. Did you have any 3 or 6 months reviews since starting? are you still in a trial period?

Everyone is in a trial period for the first 12 months since you have no recourse to "unfair dismissal"
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    employers always offer jobs subject to probationary periods, in case their "human resources professionals" or expensive agencies got it wrong. No-one ever calls them on that one, so why should the employee take any different approach? As it has turned out, you should keep in mind that far more people lose their jobs through personality clashes than through performance related issues, and your next employer (if of any value) will behave accordingly.

There is no shortage of rancorous misanthropes in positions to employ others, particularly in oil & gas (although geology may be a little different).
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    ddraver wrote:

Bet you see it as a blessing in disguise in 6 months though. Good luck!

They don't exactly sound like great employers.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I live and work in Holland and would just like to say you can tell any future employer that you didnt get on with your previous boss or colleagues it will not have any effect on the outcome of any future appointment. I,ve never known so many people to switch jobs as much as the Dutch do.I,ve lived in the Netherlands for 20 years mainly oil and gas industry.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    ddraver wrote:

:(
  • ddraver
    Thanks guys

It's pretty scary having the rug pulled out of underneath me but even when I try, I just can't feel that sad or disappointed about it. It sucks to feel like a failure and to feel so "misunderstood" (to put it in somewhat emo terms...) but I remember lying in bed on Sunday night at 3am dreading having to get up and go in.

Need to take a few days to absorb it and then start hitting the recruitment consultants.
    - @ddraver
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    ddraver,

Failure is not a word that is appropriate here -very, very few people actually fail at a job. Even those who struggle with the job itself don't lie awake worrying about the next day if they work with decent people. Being misunderstood is not your problem -clearly it is one of your last employer's failings. I have been in the same situation, and it hit me hard at the time, but within six months, I was happy, successful, understood and being paid more. I bet you a few beers you'll feel the same in that time or less.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    You made the right decision.

Anyone who has worked for any length of time knows that sometimes its not the right place. Just say what you did at the company in the CV. Leave the reasons why you left to the interview where you explain exactly what you have explained here. It is only a problem when you have a string of them on the CV. To reduce the risk of it happening again try to get more out of the interview about the company. They should appreciate why you are checking them out more thoroughly because if they are sensible they want a good match as well. And if they are not sensible then you don't want to work there anyway :)
  • ddraver wrote:

Need to take a few days to absorb it and then start hitting the recruitment consultants.

Good luck with that!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles