Hardcore Trail Bike

Hidrosmen
Hidrosmen Posts: 6
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
I've been contemplating for a while know if I should continue investing money in my curry:t bike towards the end of a trail Hardtrail or should I start all-over? I am actually more interested if the geometry is able to hold trail riding.

I currently have a 2010 Focus FatBoy. Below a link with the 2008 model which has identical geometry:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -08-28606/

The stock version had a SLX/XT drivetrain, paired with a RST Omega fork. The upgrades I made so far are:

- 120mm Reba RL
- SLX M675 brakes

And I am thinking of changing the crankset and wheels in the near future. With the proper components, would this bike be able to tame trail riding?

Thank you for your feedback

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It was designed for trail riding anyway - so no need to change components unless you think it warrants it ie fit, feel, weight loss etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure what else you need to change, you have decent forks and brakes on a decent trail frame, just tweak other components to suite what you want.

My 100mm Carrera works just fine on most trails anyway, though occasionally an extra 20mm in the forks would be nice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hidrosmen
    I would like to start on lowering the weight and maybe working a bit on the fell. My conundrum is if the frame is worth investing in.
  • the Fat Boy frame is made from butted 6061 aluminium. The tubes are mainly straight and round, almost a pleasant change at a time when so many other manufacturers feel a need to flare, curve or square taper everything in sight. But the fat biaxially-ovalised and gusset-reinforced down tube and low weight of the Fat Boy make it obvious that this is a bang-up-to-date frame that would be worth upgrading with even better componentry at a future date

Did you even read the article on the link you posted? :lol:

If the frame works for you, then I say go for it!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    What is a hardcore trail bike? Is it like an aggressive xc bike?
  • Hidrosmen
    the Fat Boy frame is made from butted 6061 aluminium. The tubes are mainly straight and round, almost a pleasant change at a time when so many other manufacturers feel a need to flare, curve or square taper everything in sight. But the fat biaxially-ovalised and gusset-reinforced down tube and low weight of the Fat Boy make it obvious that this is a bang-up-to-date frame that would be worth upgrading with even better componentry at a future date

Did you even read the article on the link you posted? :lol:

If the frame works for you, then I say go for it!

I read the article, but you can never have too many opinions. :) Anyway, thank you for your advices.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What is a hardcore trail bike? Is it like an aggressive xc bike?
    Its a trail bike for those who like there trail made of hardcore as opposed to natural pebbles, gravel etc - perhaps?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    And there was me thinking it was a bike used solely to get to raves