Rotor size upgrade?

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm in the process of swapping out my Avid Elixir 3s for some SLX M-675, I am changing out the rotors and didn't know if it was worth upgrading the size from 185f and 160r to 203f and 180r? I'll be getting the standard RT66 rotors for now as I've got a lot of money going out else where.

I'm 15st and can get pretty brake happy plus I'm doing a fair few uplift days so would I benifit from the upgrade while I'm buying all new. If I do move up in size I presume I'd need to buy adapters and that they don't come with the brakes? I have post mounts at the front and IS at the back

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try them how they are - can always upsize later.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You won't need bigger. They're excellent stoppers.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • alexthebear
    Ok so if I keep to the same size of 180mm and 160mm I might go for the ice tech rotors as I've heard some good things about them. Will the 185mm Avid adapter at the front still work with the new Shimanos?
  • supersonic
    Use the rotors and brackets you have, all will be fine (though don't use the conical Avid washers - you may need shorter bolts).
  • alexthebear
    supersonic wrote:
    Use the rotors and brackets you have, all will be fine (though don't use the conical Avid washers - you may need shorter bolts).

Your telling me that the new brakes won't come with bolts?! :shock: I'm paying out all but £100 and they can't provide four fecking bolts!!!!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the shimano calipers won't work properly with the avid 185mm post to post mount as it relies on the CPS system to fit. you'll need to fit washers and use the offset cup washers on top of the caliper to correct the angle.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends - might be just a lever and caliper set rather than the whole shbang.

You can just hacksaw them, but need a clean start to the thread and possibly not the best idea on rubbish post mount.
  • supersonic
    Pretty sure at that price they don't - why do you think they are so cheap?!! The price for a pair is a third of some other companies SINGLE brakes lol. They are often sold like this because people already have rotors and adaptors and bolts, hence don't need them or the extra cost. Is a modular approach, I quite like it, you only buy what you need.

Though can always ask the seller, some might include them, depends on the small print.

Or space out he bolts by using washers and the gubbins.
  • alexthebear
    To be honest for £8 each I'll just buy the proper Shimano adapters which come with bolts, I'll stick to the current sizes with ice tech rotors and go from there. Cheers to all for your help it's all a lurning curve :wink:
  • alexthebear
    If I'd have just scrolled down 8-10 threads I would have found all this info already written :roll: well at least I know to stick to the same size rotors so nota complete waste of everybodies time :lol:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I weight about the same as you and upgraded to XT brakes with 160mm and 180mm Icetech Rotors. They stop me really well with plenty of control. It just takes a little while to wear them in to get the best out of them.
  • alexthebear
    Kajjal wrote:
    I weight about the same as you and upgraded to XT brakes with 160mm and 180mm Icetech Rotors. They stop me really well with plenty of control. It just takes a little while to wear them in to get the best out of them.

Good to know thanks. The only issue I'm having now is trying to find the bloody things in stock!!! Seems quite a few places are selling them without the finned pads now as well.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Finned pads make bugger all difference. I cant tell the difference between finned and non finned even on long, high speed downhill tracks.
  • alexthebear
    Finned pads make bugger all difference. I cant tell the difference between finned and non finned even on long, high speed downhill tracks.

You know your not the first to say that! Less bothered about the pads now after speaking to a few people who have had them. Think I'll just buy the full set from Merlin for £109, still an absolute bargain going on the stopping power the things have.