SPD-SL Pedals

Alpina007
Alpina007 Posts: 106
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
I have just bought a new bike and require some pedals. I am somewhat confused at the different models of Spd-sl pedals and the difference in price over the range. I have been looking at Shimano as that is what is on my current bike and am used to them.

Is there any huge noticable difference going to be noticed for a 100 mile a week hobby cyclist across the range available?

Comments

• Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    I have just bought a new bike and require some pedals. I am somewhat confused at the different models of Spd-sl pedals and the difference in price over the range. I have been looking at Shimano as that is what is on my current bike and am used to them.

Is there any huge noticable difference going to be noticed for a 100 mile a week hobby cyclist across the range available?

No. They're just pedals.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

No. They're just pedals.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    If you are looking at Shimano road pedals they are all SPD-SL. The different models differ only in materials and weight. Any will do.

However, all road pedals are not SPD-SL. Other makes such as Look, Time and Speedplay are not the same and use their own cleats. These are not, generally, interchangeable. Not sure if that is what you are after.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Alpina007
    Thanks for the replies. I just couldnt tell the odds between a 30 quid pair and a 100 quid set.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Thanks for the replies. I just couldnt tell the odds between a 30 quid pair and a 100 quid set.
    If they're all SPD-SL then the difference is really just aesthetics and weight.
    Many of those with high end groupsets and very light bikes will be willing to pay a premium for pedals that weigh less and match the appearance of their groupset. The more expensive pedals will use more elaborate machining or more exotic materials to minimise weight, justifying a higher price. Functionally there will be little or no difference.
  • Alpina007
    Ai_1 wrote:
    If they're all SPD-SL then the difference is really just aesthetics and weight.
    Many of those with high end groupsets and very light bikes will be willing to pay a premium for pedals that weigh less and match the appearance of their groupset. The more expensive pedals will use more elaborate machining or more exotic materials to minimise weight, justifying a higher price. Functionally there will be little or no difference.

Perfect..... :D
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I have r540 on one bike, 105 (5700 series) on the other. They feel exactly the same to ride, not much in it when it comes to weight (330g vs 325g). The 105 look a bit nicer and feel more positive when engaging/releasing, athough that could be because they are newer. Beyond 105, you seem to be paying a lot of money for a very small drop in weight.

If you can find the 5700 pedals at a decent discount, I would go for those; if not, I don't think they're really worth paying the extra over the r540 pedals.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I've had 105s and Ultegras. The only noticeable difference is that the Ultegras are a touch less spinny (that's the technical term) and are slightly easier to clip into as a result.
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    I've had 105s and Ultegras. The only noticeable difference is that the Ultegras are a touch less spinny (that's the technical term) and are slightly easier to clip into as a result.
    Same experience definitely found the Ultegras easier to clip in and out off.
  • Slo Mo Jones
    Slo Mo Jones Posts: 272
    Sodafarl wrote:
    Same experience definitely found the Ultegras easier to clip in and out off.

hehe

yeah, of course
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    I moved across from time to shimano 105, and they are very good. It took a while to adjust to loss of float compared to time, but I'm all settled now.

105 pros
    relatively cheap
    appear to be very durable on the inside
    very easy to engage/disengage and adjustable as well

cons
    cleats are like butter, they will wear but you should get a year out of them providing you don't walk far

the external appearance will degrade quickly. I have the silver model and they look like they have been through paris roubiax, dragged behind a car, but they are just functional pedals so I don't care.

thats it

I'm buying more of them for a new build, I see no point in going up to ultegra, the weight loss is tiny, and i see nothing wrong with the 105 build quality.
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    Avoid Time. I was a loyal user for 25 years until 1 pair of RXS pedals snapped on the axle going up a hill, resulting in a bloody mess. Putting it down to a freak never again incident, I persevered. Then a year later another RXS pedal did exactly the same, this time I was on the flat but pushing hard, resulting in a bloody mess.

No apology from time, just a replacement set and no compensation for the injury and damage. I sold the pedals and went to shimano. huge design flaw in the axle, they are not safe. I checked for weight limit restrictions but there were none on the model I used. my scabby backside, hips, leg, arm and bike thinks there should be!
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Simmo72 wrote:
    Avoid Time. I was a loyal user for 25 years until 1 pair of RXS pedals snapped on the axle going up a hill, resulting in a bloody mess. Putting it down to a freak never again incident, I persevered. Then a year later another RXS pedal did exactly the same, this time I was on the flat but pushing hard, resulting in a bloody mess.

No apology from time, just a replacement set and no compensation for the injury and damage. I sold the pedals and went to shimano. huge design flaw in the axle, they are not safe. I checked for weight limit restrictions but there were none on the model I used. my scabby backside, hips, leg, arm and bike thinks there should be!

On the contrary I would recommend time, given I use the iclic racer pedals, which have there own issues, namely with cleats. But I've came off several time and scuffed but done no proper damage to them, when they wear out I'll be buying the expresso or Mavic Zxelliums. Not to mention they are lighter than nah comparable pedal for the money I think.

Shimano pedals are great though too, I just have an occasionally gammy knee. My first road pedals were spd-SL.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Miles253 wrote:
    .....when they wear out I'll be buying the expresso or Mavic Zxelliums. Not to mention they are lighter than nah comparable pedal for the money I think.

Shimano pedals are great though too, I just have an occasionally gammy knee. My first road pedals were spd-SL.
    So, you want float for your "gammy knee" thus time? If or when replacing them it may also be worth considering Speedplay. They're the most free-floating and adjustable pedal I know of. I too started on SPD-SL which were fine but changed to Speedplay Zeros a couple of years ago and love them. I find the friction free float extremely comfortable to pedal with.