Fox 32 Float CTD Evolution forks and new bikes

Qui3tman
Qui3tman Posts: 94
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
So, I'm looking to pick up an AM bike with around 140mm of travel for as far under 2 grand as I can get it!

So far I've looked at a whole host of options but the one thing I've noticed is that 90% of the bikes at this price range come with the forks in the subject, which seems to be "universally" hated by mags and a few people I've talked to.

What I want to know is, are they really that bad? Or is it something that you need to be really pushing the bike to notice?

I'm looking to get into Gravity Enduro racing but I'm by no means looking to win, more have a good time on a nice bike.

(any suggestions for bikes to look at would also be good to hear!)

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    The fox forks aren't terrible, they'll do the job but will tend to blow through the travel at least in my experience
    The reason the bike mags moan is because there's better forks the company's could spec for the same price

IMO the best 140mm fork is the Rockshox Revelation
    But as others have told me the Pike can be shortened to 140mm and has most of the same internals as the Rev just with thicker stanchions

It is possible to get after market tuning on the fox forks or a new damper which seems to improve them in most cases

If the forks are a big worry you could build you own bike, then you can choose the fork and other parts you want
  • Qui3tman
    Yeah, I am tempted by the Rose, but it just looks... naff :P A very minor issue, I know it's gonna spend all it's time underneath me - but if I'm spending almost 2 grand on something I'd like it to be aesthetically pleasing.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Qui3tman wrote:
    Yeah, I am tempted by the Rose, but it just looks... naff :P A very minor issue, I know it's gonna spend all it's time underneath me - but if I'm spending almost 2 grand on something I'd like it to be aesthetically pleasing.

Have you seen one in the flesh? I've got a GC2 in matt, mate's got a GC2 in anodised, and we're both more than happy with the looks and have also had a fair few compliments off other mates and out on the trails!

Mine for reference, I think it looks great, although you could accuse me of bias - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey463535rydau ... .57.26.jpg

PS, I'd take the Pikes over anything else I've ridden, but if you really need the bike to look pretty instead...
  • Qui3tman
    No I haven't, but then that's the problem with direct order :( Personally I prefer the look of a 4-link over a single pivot but that's just me.

Ideally I don't want to compromise on either, which is the dilemma I am facing currently.. I've heard great things about the pike and Revmatt's thread does make a tempting case for the Rose. I guess I just need to find a frame that fits and has geometry I like and then worry about the details!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a demo on a Giant Trance 27.5 with a Fox float evo fork and it's pretty poor. Damping is similar quality to a bottom end Rockshox TK damper.
    The evolution damper cannot be tuned, I contacted mojo who told me that the only thing they could do with it is remove the evo damper and replace it with a FIT damper at a cost of around £300.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the granite chief isn't a single pivot though its a horst link.
    Qui3tman wrote:
    No I haven't, but then that's the problem with direct order :( Personally I prefer the look of a 4-link over a single pivot but that's just me.

Ideally I don't want to compromise on either, which is the dilemma I am facing currently.. I've heard great things about the pike and Revmatt's thread does make a tempting case for the Rose. I guess I just need to find a frame that fits and has geometry I like and then worry about the details!
  • Qui3tman
    My bad, still learning all the intricacies of these things :)