Wide rim handbuilts based on Record hubs

theobrixton
theobrixton Posts: 92
edited May 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all. I never thought I’d be one of those guys that posts a “what wheels” question. But here I am.

I’m hoping some of the experienced wheel builders on this forum (or anyone else who wants to chime in) can help me spec out some cushy new Winter wheels for my BMC (see sig). I weigh 65kgs and the wheels will be used for all types of training; flat, rolling road and lots of climbing. They may even do the occasional crit.

For silly reasons of aesthetics and brand loyalty I was thinking of basing the build around Record hubs. I’m aware this restricts me to higher spoke counts of 32 and 36 that may be overkill for my weight. It doesn’t bother me. Parts will be purchased from various online retailers and either passed on to a local builder (TBD) or I might, gasp, have a crack at building them myself.

So, what rims and spokes? I'm keen to try some wider rims and experience this greater stability, handling and comfort that everyone seems to be raving about. Pacenti SL23 and Archetype seem like good possibilities. Any other suggestions? The H Plus Son TB14 in hard ano might look pretty hot...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    All those you have mentioned are pretty good. Archetype has the best value for money as well as looking a lot prettier than the Pacenti.
    Pacenti rims have a better tubeless profile, if you plan to go tubeless, but the Archetype can be easily converted too.
    left the forum March 2023
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Anything less well known worth looking at?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Dont use DT Swiss Revolution spokes on the back, especially if building yourself.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    Dont use DT Swiss Revolution spokes on the back, especially if building yourself.

Or rephrasing it, listen to the more experienced builders? :wink:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Archetype on record hubs with sapim laser spokes is what I would do in 32H. It would be is a very stable build for riders heavier than you. I have some silver chorus hubs I will be building up with silver archetype rims with laser spokes. I am 83 kg there will be no problems.

Laser/rev spoke do work on the rear well if the rims are stiff enough and the spoke count high enough for the riders weight/riding style. The Pacneti SL23 or the HED Belgian + rim are the other two high end allloy rim options that I would recomend to you. Race spokes are needed if the rider weight/riding style could de tension the NDS rear spokes if lasers were used.

Enjoy your build it will be nice.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    I love my DT Swiss rims. Would definitely recommend them. If I built another set of training wheels it would be RR440s. Part of that is my weight and the more even tension achievable with asymmetrical wheels, which appeals to me.
    I've heard/read positive things about ambrosio (excellight/excellence) and velocity rims as other alternatives. I don't have a huge amount of data however to tell you which is optimal though.
  • cycleclinic
    The RR440 is a lovely rim I agree but it is not wide though. The ambrosio excellight is even narrower than the RR440. You probably the older R465 rim which is ambrosio excellight quality in other word excellent but such rims are considered narrow now.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    All those you have mentioned are pretty good. Archetype has the best value for money as well as looking a lot prettier than the Pacenti.
    Pacenti rims have a better tubeless profile, if you plan to go tubeless, but the Archetype can be easily converted too.
    Beauty is in the eye of the the beholder!
    Personally I much prefer the looks of the Pacenti SL23 over the Archetype.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The RR440 is a lovely rim I agree but it is not wide though. The ambrosio excellight is even narrower than the RR440. You probably the older R465 rim which is ambrosio excellight quality in other word excellent but such rims are considered narrow now.
    Are you saying that 23mm rims are the only rims worth considering now? Does it really make any difference unless you can descend like Cancellera? Im not sure I can tell the difference.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • cycleclinic
    The OP wants wide rims so I was pointing out the RR440 is not as wide as the archetype or Pacenti SL23.

Wide rims are more about the comfort of a wider tyre profile for example a Vittoria Open Pave 27mm tyre on a Kinlin XR-200, Mavic Open Pro e.t.c is 25mm wide put the same tyre on the archetype rim and it is 27mm wide that why wide rims are popular, I know I can feel the width difference. The handling benefit is just another marginal gain worth having but not worth it by itself.
  • theobrixton
    Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I've found a shop pretty close to where I live that stocks H Plus Son rims. They sure do look nice in the flesh. Might just go with them and get them to build the wheels. Will let you know how I get on and will post some pics.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    TB14's are a nicer looking rim than the Archetype, for my money. They certainly make for a comfortable wheel, and in 32 spoke they're going to last a long time.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Another wide rim to consider - is the Ryde Pulse Sprint. I was talking to Malcolm (cycleclinic) about them a while back - and eventually had a set built locally after meeting a local wheel builder. I had a pair built on record hubs.

They've been great so far. Stayed true. Been riding them with Veloflex Corsa 25s. They're tubeless-compatible so I've been toying with the idea of that for the winter.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12967943
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I've found a shop pretty close to where I live that stocks H Plus Son rims. They sure do look nice in the flesh. Might just go with them and get them to build the wheels. Will let you know how I get on and will post some pics.

Ask around for feedback... a lot of shops jump on the hand-built band wagon with very little experience... young mechanics that have built a handful of wheels charge you 60 quid for the job and many times the wheels are disappointing. A few shops have experienced mechanics who know what they are doing, so have a look around for reviews.
  • cycleclinic
    The Ryde pulse sprints are very light, tyres are a tight fit unless you have the knack. Other wise they are an excellent road rim I am torn between the archetype's and the Ryde's for a build on some nice Chorus silver hubs for myself.

Ugo has a point approach a reliable shop. If you have a club in your area ask them who is good. Otherwise you will have you will have to approach those that ship wheels.

TB14's are quite heavy and while I do build with them they are not as stiff and ride comfort has more to with the tyres and pressure you use than anything else. Both rims make wheels that ride well.
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    Ambrosio Excellence for me. Would be real nice with Record hubs. Personally, I don't like the new breed of rims made by HPlus, they look odd. But that's just me.
  • theobrixton
    Well, the new wheels plan is dead.

Long live the new "wheels". Yep, got a new bike. The Italian frameset I've been drooling over the last few months got a big discount for the Giro and I couldn't pass it up. Will post pics in the gallery in the next couple of days.

Thanks again to everyone that provided advice and suggestions. I may eventually use them, when my bank account recovers.
  • g00se
    What did you get?
  • theobrixton
    Basso Diamante.
  • g00se
    Wow! Lovely thing. I was lusting after an Astra but after the discounted ones were all sold from Wiggle, those left in the country after they dropped the distributor were just too much at the time. Do you mind if I ask where you got it from?

Did it come with the stock Microtech wheels? They're actually re-badged Miche.
  • theobrixton
    There's no such availability issues here in Australia :D

No didn't get wheels. Plan was to just get the frameset (which includes stem and seatpost) and build it up myself. But the shop had a Chorus group in stock and the price was great so got them to do all the hard work. Wheels are carried over from my BMC, which now gets the Shamal Ultras from my old winter bike.

Bike looks amazing. Will take some pics soon and start a thread for it.