pf30/bb30 v holotech . Which is better?

Prowlus
Prowlus Posts: 539
edited May 2014 in MTB general
After getting back into mtbing after a long absence of 6 years , I've noticed alot of the new bikes are equipped what looks like a modernized sealed internal bottom bracket system known either as bb 30 or press fit 30 as opposed to say a external holotech system that I was used to in 2008/2009 .
Are there any benefits to this new internal sealed system as opposed to say a holotech equipped crank and bottom bracket ? Wont internals more likely to develop a problem ie creaking as opposed to externals like my holotech xt which lasted over 7 years without servicing? I'm considering converting my pf30 crank back to a externally based deore XT in the future

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nope.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    BB30 and PF30 are rubbish. Good old fashioned external hollowtec bearings are much better.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you like creaking noises, only ride in bone dry conditions and dont mind bearings lasting weeks rather than years go for the PF30.

I am hearily sick of my PF30 system (I am on my 4th Bottom Bracket in 10 months) I am going to get a Praxxis PF30 to HTII converter when this BB goes and I am looking for a nice XT 2x10 crankset.

Praxxis Works PF30 converter
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In theory press fit bearings are better, better alignment, stiffer (full width bearing shell in the frame) and lighter (no carrier) in practice.......

When you say Hollowtech, no such BB, Hollowtech2 is a BB setup, Hollowtech was an arm configuration that came with different BB options.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    edited May 2014
    Thanks guys . So I'm assuming this new bb fitting on modern mtb and road bikes is not beneficial in the long term? I still have a old ht fireX crankset from my old ransom . Would that be better to slap onto my bike if my pf30 system fails in the short term?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The issue with some press fit bearings has been bearing life, BB30's especially have proven to be poor, I believe the BB92 have been just as good as HT2 (as it's pretty much the same bearing just inserted in the frame). A better bearing may resolve the issue with bearing life as there is no reason they should fail much faster when fitted directly into the frame rather than via a screw in carrier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    Not the only issue. My complaint is the need for special tool. Got 1000 miles on sram bb30 . Decided to change to a megaexo set up which I can eaily maintain.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Prowlus wrote:
    Thanks guys . So I'm assuming this new bb fitting on modern mtb and road bikes is not beneficial in the long term?

Only for the manufacturers, not the consumer stuck with the crappy things...