The web makes shopping too hard to resist?

jscl
jscl Posts: 1,015
edited May 2014 in Road general
Hey Guys,

Interesting one for you. Does anyone else feel that the web makes shopping for new things too hard to resist? With instant offers and promotions directly in front of us and e-mails keep us updated.

Every time I shop online for bike stuff - which is usually just clothing or one-off bits I need when I do - I find myself spending more than I set out to. The hard one to resist is when stores offer free postage when you spend X amount for me. I feel obliged to spend at least that amount, every time.

So ignoring the rules of N+1 and knowing how cycling is as a sport. The ultimate question is: Do you find yourself spending more money than you otherwise would because of the web?
Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.

Comments

• chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Yes……..you buy stuff you think you need but really you don't!!!
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Welcome to the joys of consumerism and direct marketing and upselling.

It's a barsteward.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    If you show a level of common sense and restraint then the upside of internet retail is the increased competitivity and ease of browsing around for the best deal, which means you can also end up saving a lot more money than visiting a limited number of local shops in person
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not bikewise. Bikes and all my clothing and other bits have been purchased from my LBS. I have two very good ones nearby and I have built up a very good relationship with both. I reckon it saves me in the long run and I have social interaction through them with staff and other cyclists. The number of stoopid purchases I would have made if I had not talked them through with others is... Quite a few
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Absolutely! Back in the day if you wanted too look at products and kit you had to go a shop, or look through a catalogue, but now you can get all the information you need and make a purchase without even getting up!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Its very dangerous. I cant even use the approach of leaving my card at home to prevent me from spending any money as I can just use paypal!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • restraint
    /rɪˈstreɪnt/

noun
    noun: restraint; plural noun: restraints

1. a measure or condition that keeps someone or something under control.
    "decisions are made within the financial restraints of the budget"
  • goonz
    Meh
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    We all know who is to blame here!
  • goonz
    But, but those haribos are so tasty!
  • I ended up buying a £20 set of cable cutters and I don't even know how to change cables yet. I am guilty as sin for buying small things like that, I don't go over board though.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if you think that online shopping is too hard to resist I wouldn't recommend trying crack!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Just wait till your phone's location awareness recognises that you are outside your LBS and invites you in for some just-for-you discounted chain lube.... then as you walk out you'll get a 50% off one-hour voucher for coffee across the road, and an instant 2-for-1 on a pizza from the shop round the corner.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I blame wiggle.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    wiggle.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • goonz
    Haha!
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    wiggle.jpg

Major incentive for me

I get so many emails from online shops, now it is a dangerous temptation, but I've also bagged great deal on things I 'need'
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    No.

I rarely search online shops for the hell of it. I only search them when I need something and I'm looking the best place to buy it.

The internet does make it easy to buy things though which makes me less likely to go to a LBS which takes time, effort, and costs money in petrol and parking.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    I ended up buying a £20 set of cable cutters and I don't even know how to change cables yet. I am guilty as sin for buying small things like that, I don't go over board though.

But one day in the future, they will be a lifesaver....

So that makes you smarter then most. 8)
  • Miles253
    I ended up buying a £20 set of cable cutters and I don't even know how to change cables yet. I am guilty as sin for buying small things like that, I don't go over board though.

Hey, I've avoided buying cable cutters for two and a half years, always borrowing my flat mates, now I no longer live with him, and I wishes had bought them
  • Ibis2k14
    Ibis2k14 Posts: 25
    I live on the other side of the world compared to most big online retailers (Taiwan).
    Because of this, I tend to order stuff from Wiggle or other similar websites only if it's a product that I've used for a very long time and I cannot find locally at a better price.
    For example, since I live close to Japan and the local Sram afctory is not very far from where my city, their stuff is like 30/40% cheaper than anything on WIggle, even during sales period. On the other hand, Campy/Fulcrum and Euro stuff in general can be a bit more expensive or harder to find. My last order at Wiggle had some DHB and Lifeline products, as well as some Speedplay pedals that are not too easy to come by around here.

I think it's a bit like Steam for videogamers: whene there's a sale and everything is at 70/80% discount, people just pickup a lot of games they won't have the time to play. Same for Wiggle's sales: you see a component that might be useful in the future at 80% discount, you order it and eventually it becomes a loyal friend that lives at the bottom of your "Spares Box".
  • goonz
    I just bought some speedplays off the bikeforum classifieds. Damn you internet!!!
  • terry2708
    terry2708 Posts: 92
    Yes it does. I haven't bought a bike this year and have bought bits and pieces from other retailers but here is my wiggle spending for the year!!

I need help!!!

During the last 365 days you have spent: £917.55

Ouch!
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Ouch as well, just checked my wiggle spend for last 365 ,over £1k :-/ , it shocked me ! Good job I can hide it from the mrs . Had plenty of haribos a tho lol
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    terry2708 wrote:
    Yes it does. I haven't bought a bike this year and have bought bits and pieces from other retailers but here is my wiggle spending for the year!!

I need help!!!

During the last 365 days you have spent: £917.55

Ouch!
    Ouch. In my case I don't tend to buy much in the way of components as I can pick most of that up without needing to buy.

But we get a discount at Rapha.... That's where my bad habit is coming in. In the last 2 weeks I've spent £460 on new gear from them. But I spent over £200 on both occasions... Made sure I got free postage :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Miles253
    As long as the stuff comes in dribs and drabs, it doesn't matter right?
  • terry2708
    terry2708 Posts: 92
    My wife often wonders why we have so many haribo bags!!
  • goonz
    I can't eat haribos so my colleagues love when a parcel comes from wiggle more than I do.