Shimano XT calipers, which bolts and adapters?

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited May 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, I'm sure this is all very straight forward but I'm a little confused what else I need to swap from avids 185 rotors and current 185mm adapters to use with shimano 180 rotors.

Do I need new adapters? New bolts, I understand shimano don't use the same washers as avids do, what do I use instead, do new shimano brakes come with bolts? I didn't see anything saying they do. I have post mounts on my forks and is mounts on the frame, I'm thinking 180 shimano adapters post front and is rear?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To swap from 185 to 180 you need new adaptors, if you use the 185mm discs (why not?) then you don't.

Yes you remove the avid callipers and CPS washers and bolt the Shimano callipers direct to the adaptor, you will usually need shorter bolts although sometimes you can use the longer ones (or cut them down if you must!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • abarth_1200
    Ok new adapters then.

3 reasons I'm looking at new rotors. Current rotors no longer have the machined finish for a good braking surface. I'm selling them as a bundle with the brakes and adapters. I want the ice tech rotors to help reduce overheating, can't I spoil myself!
  • The Rookie
    You don't want the machined finish, that's there to help the pads bed in! But yes if selling as a bundle I would include the bolts and adaptors and CPS washers.

Personally I wouldn't have icetech, but they have their place.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    the XT caliper won't sit flush with the avid caliper so you'd need to use washers to space it out and conical washers on top to allow the bolt to go through at an angle.
  • abarth_1200
    Yeah, I'm hoping the new adapters come with the bolts I need.

I've only heard good things about the ice tech rotors, any reason no to get them to match.

Sorry I'm not following what you mean POAH, I'm getting xt calipers and wanting to fit shimano 180mm standard sized rotors. So new adapters are required
  • The Rookie
    POAH wrote:
    the XT caliper won't sit flush with the avid caliper so you'd need to use washers to space it out and conical washers on top to allow the bolt to go through at an angle.
    Eh, what a load of codswallop.

Why would you want the XT callipers to sit flush with Avids? You don't want washers at all if using the right adaptor, and he's getting new ones anyway, and Shimano post mount adaptors (for 180mm discs) are on an angle with no washer anyway.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    Eh, what a load of codswallop.

Why would you want the XT callipers to sit flush with Avids? You don't want washers at all if using the right adaptor, and he's getting new ones anyway, and Shimano post mount adaptors (for 180mm discs) are on an angle with no washer anyway.

read it wrongly - thought he was wanting to use the XT caliper on an avid 185 mount.