Odd creaking/clicking noise

stuartglover82
stuartglover82 Posts: 35
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a 5 week old Cube Sting HPA 140 Pro which is producing a weird clicking noise.

I have ridden it a fair bit off road at Sherwood Pines, Brechfa and now Glentress.

It was "serviced" at Leisure Lakes Daventry last week and since then it has developed this noise.

The noise comes when I am putting the power down into the crank whilst pedalling (standing and sitting), there is no noise when not pedalling or in the attack stance.

At first I thought it was the dropper post, so cleaned out the seat stay and it continued.
Tonight I stripped out the crank, bar the whole bearings and gave that a good clean with no difference.

My final thought is the suspension bearings but I sure hope it isn't that.

I fully intend to return it to LL next week but I have another 3 days riding in Scotland to do so I'm after thoughts or ideas please.

Cheers
Cube Sting 140 Pro 29er 2014
Specialized Hockhopper SL comp 2011
Carrera Vulcan 2009 - retired

Comments

• Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    Do the pedals need tightening or the BB?

I have this recurring problem on my rockhopper and 9 times out of 10 I just tighten the saint pedals and the creak/click is gone.

Just waiting on the copper grease to arrive, should sort it.

Try re tightening the pedals
  • I did check the pedals as well.

Tool it to the lbs and they Sussex out it was the bottom posit bearing on the rear sus, quick squirt of GT85 and it's all good. It will get stripped down when I get home & given a proper clean out & re-grease.

Cheers
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Did the service include the front mech?

Check that the cable end is not catching the crank on each revolution
  • I did check the pedals as well.

Tool it to the lbs and they Sussex out it was the bottom posit bearing on the rear sus, quick squirt of GT85 and it's all good. It will get stripped down when I get home & given a proper clean out & re-grease.

Cheers

I've just worked out this made no sense at all!

I took it to a LBS up her in in Innerleithen and they worked out it was the bottom pivot bearing on the rear sus.

Big Al, already had and sorted this problem and yes the service did include the front mech cheers tho.
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    I new what you meant when you first explained it ;) ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604