Tyres/Inner Tubes

jackk1992
jackk1992 Posts: 141
edited May 2014 in Road beginners
Probably another silly question coming here, i do apologies!

Not really sure on Road Cycling Tyres and looking at getting a few inner tubes for my bike.

How can I tell what size tyres I have? I'm used to just dealing with 20", 24", 26" but apparently there is 700c or something?

I have Continental Gatorskins on it at the moment and the only thing that it says on it is 23mm?
2013 Mondraker Foxy XR MS Mountain Bike
Giant TCR-1 Custom Road Bike
2013 Merida Big Nine TFS 500
2015 Merida Ride 4000

"Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion"

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    That will be 700x23mm

Sheldon to the rescue:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jackk1992
    Thats great cheers!

Another question.. what is everyone impressions of the continental gatorskins?
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    jackk1992 wrote:
    Thats great cheers!

I have them on my Audax bike and I like them. Good value and good puncture protection.
  • Initialised
    jackk1992 wrote:
    Thats great cheers!

I wasn't keen on the 26" x 1.2 versions, to slippery in the wet compared to Duranos so haven't tried them in 700c.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jackk1992
    I'm used to having the knobbly and more thread in them the better, with mtb and motorbikes so theses tyres with more or less slicks slightly scare me :P
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• Initialised
    Slicks actually have a bigger contact patch than most knobblies, so more grip and less likely to slip during heavy cornering on a smooth road. Tread patterns on car and motorbike road tyres are designed to channel water out from under the tyre to prevent aquaplaning. On 23mm slicks I think you'd have to be doing about 80mph to aquaplane. Tread patterns on MTB tyres are designed for loose surfaces.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/commut ... ---Tyres-0
  • jackk1992
    Its all just about what you think you have confidence in isnt it. Just all about getting used to it! and I better slow down through those puddles then ;)
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Also consider trying 700x25mm wide tyres, may give you a bit more confidence.