Are you ready (for Freddie?)

Variance
Variance Posts: 130
Well, it's less than a week now until the big day

Which camp are you in?

1. I'm ready, in fact I was born ready, bring it on!
2. I've done the miles, but I'm still a bit nervous about Hardknott
3. I've not done as much as I should but I'll give it my best shot
4.Oh Sh*t is it this Sunday? Better get my bike out!

Comments

• onemoresolo
    onemoresolo Posts: 372
    3 for me, know I'll get round, know it's going to hurt (a lot).
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Probably 2 for me, although it's not necessarily Hardknott I'm particularly concerned about, just the accumulative brutalness of it all, this is one that gives me the butterflies for sure!

I've done the training & know I'm ready & will get round, I just want to get it over with as quick as poss to limit the suffering! Looking at the forecast is a bit bleak though, I think it's fair to say it's gonna be wet! That won't help matters any.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Option 2 I'd say. I really can't be doing with weather like last year though. Bloody grim it was!

Hardknott is always lung bursting unless you have a triple. So many people give up too easily though - you can feel the trepidation approaching Hardknott along the valley!

Hoping to get in a big group to Keswick but won't be sitting on the front like last year. Glad to take my turn but must have dragged about 30 of the buggers along last year. Got carried away and paid for it later. Got round in 7:50 but wasted a load of time at Calder Bridge trying to warm up after riding without my jacket over Cold Fell. A lot of lessons learned that day.
  • alexjones5
    alexjones5 Posts: 42
    nammynake, sounds like you had a parallel ride to me!! I pulled a group to Keswick then was 30 minutes at Calder Bridge in Alu blankets and fan heater room!!
    Can't be that bad again can it?? Castelli Gabba packed already
  • nammynake
    Forecast is looking slightly ropey but possibly showers and spells of sunshine -better than persistent rain like last year.

Strong Westerly forecast means Cold Fell will be tough but at least we'll have a tailwind up Hardknott!

Gabba packed too!
  • nunowoolmez
    +1 for gabba!
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    First Fred and option 3 for me! Not enough long rides to feel really confident but have put a few miles in searched out as many of the local hills on a regular basis as time has allowed.

For those who have been up that way before should I use my Conte 4 seasons or 4000s? The reality I am sure is that it will make little difference..... but interested in opinions.
  • alexjones5
    I'd go with the 4000s. Just fitted a new set myself. The roads aren't any worse than they are in the Peak District or The Dales (where I ride mainly).
    Do you have different size tyres between the 4000s and 4 seasons? 25's may be worth it if the 4 seasons are slightly bigger?
    Enjoy it!!
  • alexjones5
    Looking at the weather thinking
    Base layer
    Nano-flex arm and leg warmers
    Shorts
    Gabba top
    Gilet
    over shoes

What does everyone else reckon?
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    Thanks Alex

Both are 23mm. 4000s are in better condition as only used for couple of months at back end of last summer before 4 seasons went back on for winter and turbo.

Thinking similar layers wise with thin waterproof in case the heavens open!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Probably 2 for me - I have done the miles, but still nervous about the cumulative effect of all that climbing. I'm glad there's a feed stop about 5 or 6 miles from Hardknott, at least I can get some life back into the legs before heading off down Eskdale.

I had a quick (well, 4 hours) recce of the Keswick area on monday, over Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter (then back over Honister from the west side (which seemed much harder than from the east). I'm not as fussed about Newlands and Whinlatter as I was before, they don't seem too bad, just gentle inclines compared to Hardknott and Wrynose. The decsent of Honister is a bit of a white knuckle job though, nearly lost it one section about half way down. That woke me up!

Clothing is going to be tricky to get right - I think I'm going to err on the side of warmth, especially as the temperature isn't forecast to get much above about 12c. I'll be on Conti 4S, fairly new on.
  • Variance
    +1 For conti 4s

25's though!

What food are people carrying on them?

I think I'd rather carry a couple of extra bars/gels than run out of gas in between feedstops
  • petegraaf
    petegraaf Posts: 23
    I'm option 2.

Pretty sure I will be fine as I managed ok on the Tour of Pembrokeshire 110 mile route a couple of weeks ago in poor conditions but I've watched a few too many Youtube videos of people struggling up Hardknott which has psyched me out a little! Has anyone done them both before for a comparison?

In terms of tyres I'm going for a new pair of Continental 4 Season 25s, for food I'll probably just get by on gels and Shotbloks or similar as doubt I'll stop much at food stations.

Most difficult thing for me is pacing, I know I'll be keen to latch on to the fast groups and I hate being overtaken uphill so run the risk of going out far too hard which could be a recipe for disaster
  • nunowoolmez
    http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/

http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/blog/tag/fred-whitton/

A couple of useful links for anyone doing it for the first time...
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    edited May 2014
    First timer here. And probably a 3 for me. But catch is that I'm doing it on a carbon-hardtail MTB. Hoping the gearing, suspension and brakes will be of some assistance!

Did the Kielder 100 twice - incl the infamous 2011 when less than a third completed - so expecting something vaguely similar in terms of the suffering (just quicker!)?

Being from London, I'm really struggling with the clothing choice - tempted to keep it light, and just go for summer gear, plus a rain shell, knee warmers and maybe warmer socks. OK, so you've fallen off your chair laughing. Now tell me what you think! Just hate carrying too much, and then having to shed most of it on that first climb!

Going to stick about 15 gels in my pockets. That plus the energy drink should get me through.

OK, stop laughing please. :D
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • nammynake
    Forecast is still showing sunny showers so we may get away with a few scattered showers over the course of the day. I'd much prefer that to the persistent rain we had last year.

Clothing will probably be:

Roubaix bib shorts
    Vest
    Gabba short sleeve jersey
    Nanoflex arm warmers
    Waterproof shoe covers
    Neoprene full finger gloves

Possibly knee warmers and full waterproof jacket (Gore) if I can squeeze into my jersey pocket.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    boneyjoe wrote:
    Being from London, I'm really struggling with the clothing choice - tempted to keep it light, and just go for summer gear, plus a rain shell, knee warmers and maybe warmer socks. OK, so you've fallen off your chair laughing. Now tell me what you think! Just hate carrying too much, and then having to shed most of it on that first climb!

In a nutshell, look at the weather forecast linked to a few posts above. The conditions on the tops are going to be autumnal at best, wintry at worst. What would you wear in winter? The fact that it's May is immaterial. Yes, climbing warms you up and you can cool rapidly on descents so layer up and regulate your temperature as you climb by undoing zips / rolling up sleeves / rolling down arm warmers. I'll be in (relatively) hefty commuting waterproof jacket, 3/4 bib knickers, overshoes, cap and full finger Sealskinz gloves. Spare gloves, tubes etc, skull cap and lots of food in jacket pocket & saddle pack. I'd rather carry a few bits of kit un-necessarily than have to abandon because I got too wet / cold / hungry.
  • Variance
    http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/

http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/blog/tag/fred-whitton/

A couple of useful links for anyone doing it for the first time...

Thanks for those, very useful!

That picture form the feedstop last year looks like carnage!