Tubular repair

wilhay
wilhay Posts: 12
edited May 2014 in Workshop
I was unfortunate to nick the sidewall on my training Grifo tubular (cross)..
It is less than 3mm long but went through the wall and put a 1mm nick in the latex inner.
The sealant didnt seal so I endured a walk of shame home from the woods.

I am new to tubs , Any ideas what is best to get this back running? it seems a right pain to take the whole tub off. is it possible to peel back that section, enough to access the tape and stitching . , do the fix, then re glue the tub.?

Has anyone done this or am I asking for trouble ?

Wil

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Sounds like a nasty... you need to have it professionally repaired. It's going to cost you 20 quid or so. You can try yourself, but there is no shortcut and it's a lot of work
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any recommendations for people who repair tubs? Thank you.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Theory won't agree but in practice you can repair anything in a tub that you would in a tube. I have done all sorts. It cost nothing much to try does it?
    It's worth yanking off a sizeable bit of the tub as is easy to work with that way and re sticking one is a few minutes anyway, especially if its nice and clean. Use heavy thread or spend money on a proper repair kit. I never have. Try and use the smallest patches that you can find. Replicate the stitching pattern on the back .Use some thing like a bit of old tub behind the hole. That may make a bulge which could then be venerable. What I always find the hardest is getting to backing tape back on perfectly. I hate wrinkles and it is you link between tub and rim. Of course you could use the repaired one for a spare which is what you should have had with you in the first place.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    There are people who repair tubs like this guy http://www.tubular-tyre-repair.co.uk/ but its more a case of repairing the inner tube than the tyre itself.

Probably a case of either having a go yourself, or buying another tub. Actually make that 2 so you have a spare next time.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    which sealant? if it was pitstop i've never found it much use, but now it's in the tub you need to try to keep it at least slightly inflated otherwise the inner tube will get stuck together and need replacing

repair just takes a little reading to understand the process and then some dexterity to do it

if the cut is big enough you may need to reinforce the area, a bit of old carcass is good for this

i keep a few spares, that way it's simpler to fit a new/repaired one and wait until there're 2-3 to fix and do them all at the same time
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny